Is There Anything Wrong With The PSP?

Zonk posted more than 7 years ago | from the nothing-a-good-redesign-wouldn't-cure dept.

Portables (Games) 157

An anonymous reader writes "In the latest 'Analyze This' series of exclusive Gamasutra features, analysts from Screen Digest, ABI Research and DFC Intelligence look at what Sony and developers can do to improve the PSP platform, to generate more excitement for it among developers, gamers and the industry overall — or if they even need to. 'My feelings on the PSP are mixed: It has shown there is demand for a more high-end portable system. The portable market has room for two competing portable systems. We forecast that over the next five years dedicated portable systems will sell just as many units as the new console systems. However, the PSP could really use a new model. This has been the secret to Nintendo's success.'"

Yes, there is (1, Troll)

stratjakt (596332) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635731)

It costs too much.

Its load times are obnoxious for a portable.

It's too big to stick in your pocket.

The control scheme is awkward.

The games suck.

The battery life sucks.

Nobody wants to buy movies again on UMD.

It is a steaming pile of dogshit. The fact that they have to resort to slashvertisement phony-news articles to sell it is proof of that.

And c'mon now, daddy pants, own up to it.. All the PSP stories you post are part of the paid "all i want for xmas" campaign aren't they?

Re:Yes, there is (1, Troll)

stratjakt (596332) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635853)

Wow, that was a quick down-mod. I'll take that as a "yes" to my "is sony paying you to pimp their shit" question.

It's amazing how Sony releases - by no means superior - consoles (PSP and PS3), jacks the cost up to the moon and expects them to sell on the virtue of "can play movies in a new format so you can buy all new movies".

Then they get all shocked when they don't sell, and use silly "subversive advertising" schemes to generate "buzz".

They need to know that those types of schemes only generate "buzz" when there's "buzz" to be generated. Ilovebees.com worked for MSFT because Halo was a great game. The same scheme wouldn't have sold any copies of "mike tyson boxing", because it was a pile of shit.

Pro-tip to Sony: It isnt the 90s, people have owned video game consoles in the past. They know what shit is when they see it. They know that when all you can do is read off theoretical tech specs, you are talking shit.

Proof? The PS3 marks the SECOND time in the last few years that Nintendo has kicked your ass with a "technically inferior" offering.

Clue the fuck in.

Re:Yes, there is (-1, Offtopic)

lmnfrs (829146) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636073)

Hahaha, after this post got to 2: Interesting your FP went from 0: Troll to 5: Insightful quickfast.

And now this post is 1: Troll.

Oh, mods. (2, Funny)

StarKruzr (74642) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636747)

It is my ultimate goal to somehow post something that ends up at 5: Troll.

Re:Oh, mods. (1)

stratjakt (596332) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636973)

Dude, check this [slashdot.org] .

+5 Insightful, while saying "Apple sucks and everyone who owns a Mac is a faggot".

I know, I'm awesome.

Re:Oh, mods. (1)

StarKruzr (74642) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637629)

Hahahahahahaha. Massive win.

And I own a Macbook Pro. :p

Re:Oh, mods. (0)

You. win. the. internet.

Punch-Out!! (2, Funny)

tepples (727027) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636083)

What was so wrong with Punch-Out!! [wikipedia.org] ?

Re:Punch-Out!! (2, Funny)

stratjakt (596332) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636667)

Punch Out is awesome, I have it in my Playchoice 10. In fact, it's the only game card I have in it.

It's more of a Playchoice 1 really.

Re:Yes, there is (1, Flamebait)

lmnfrs (829146) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635897)

stratjakt may be trolling but he's mostly right.. The analog control thing is in an uncomfortable position for many people, and many of its best games don't appeal to enough people. I wouldn't say the battery life is bad, but my DS seems to last _forever_ before it needs a charge.

The whole "white is better, let's chain up a black dude and put it on a billboard" thing probably didn't help either.

Re:Yes, there is (1)

(A)*(B)!0_- (888552) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636049)

"I mean, I cant understand a geek site giving a fuck about it. It's an n-gage that cant make phone calls."
Really? I'll not argue with you over Slashdot can be considered a geek site anymore but certainly you can understand why a homebrew site might be interested in the PSP, can't you?

Re:Yes, there is (4, Informative)

mr_mischief (456295) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636831)

Homebrew sites were excited as flies at a freshly-fertilized organic tomato farm before Sony repeatedly updated the firmware to get rid of them. Sony seems worried enough about protecting a market for UMD games that they're willing to lose system sales to homebrew game fans.

People who want a $200-$300 handheld homebrew-friendly system may just go the GP2X [gp2c.com] route instead. I think last time I checked you could still get a PSP to boot Linux from MS Pro Duo and play games on that. If you want a GP2X, though you'll probably just buy a GP2X. The only advantage I can see to PSP over GP2X is that it also plays UMD games, but look at the list of games for the GP2X [gp2x.org] .

Also, try getting OpenSSH, a Gameboy emulator, etc on your PSP without the latest Sony firmware updates screwing all of that over.

Re:Yes, there is (1)

(A)*(B)!0_- (888552) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638061)

I still see quite a few homebrew sites that cover the PSP. Yes, Sony has dropped the ball on this. But Sony is a terrible company and no one should buy anything from them. My statement wasn't that homebrew on the PSP is the cat's pajamas. I was refuting what the OP said regarding the lack of interest about the PSP on geek sites.

Nothing you said was relevant to that refutation.

Re:Yes, there is (1)

Perseid (660451) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636079)

Being a PSP owner I agree with a lot of that, but there are quite a few good games for the system at this point. Not as many as there are for the DS(which I also own), but I don't feel shafted on my PSP because there aren't enough worthy games. There are.

Re:Yes, there is (0)

It just got a price drop to $170, only on certain games most are fine, how small are you pockets, no, no, not really that bad, true, trolling, give it a rest fanboy, trolling.

Re:Yes, there is (5, Informative)

aikouka (932902) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636141)

It costs too much.

It only costs 30% more than the Nintendo DS Lite right now for more functionality out of the box.

Its load times are obnoxious for a portable.

Certain games are bad, yes, but not all. I own 14 PSP games and none of them have load times that have made me annoyed or anything like that.

It's too big to stick in your pocket.

Funny, I just put mine in my pocket with no problem and I have the Mad Catz clamshell on it which increases the size quite a bit.

The control scheme is awkward.

The joystick is weird, but personally I got used to it fairly easily. Other than that, everything is fine control-wise for me. The issue may actually be that the games you've played are ports of PS(X/2) games and therefore you're used to the PS2 controller layout.

The games suck.

Purely personal preference. I mean, like I stated above, I have 14 games and I like them all. I only own about 6 DS games in comparison.

The battery life sucks.

Nobody wants to buy movies again on UMD.

Agreed with that. UMD is useless, because it costs as much as a DVD and unlike a DVD, you have limited use! If the PSP had a video output feature, it may have been better, but there isn't one.

Re:Yes, there is (1, Troll)

flitty (981864) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636539)

I'm sorry, but i have to call bullshit on the battery life issue. My psp will die after 6 hours (if i'm luckY)... and my DS can go upwards of 18 or so hours.

You must have massive pockets. I can stick it in my front pocket, only if i'm standing, and if i don't have anything else. My ds on the other hand, will fit comfortably next to my ipod in my front pocket with little interference.

Re:Yes, there is (0)

"You know, my friend complained about his PSP's battery life, but mine's been fairly good for as long as I've owned it. It's been about as good as my NDS when both are at a full charge. I can tell you that if you leave the wireless networking on, it won't last as long. It also eats up power while sitting there dormant."

Sorry, nice try, but you just gave yourself away as a Sony marketing person. About the same as your NDS? Hahahahaahah. Please, go work on your "All I want for Passover is a PS3" campaign.

Software. (1)

snsr (917423) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637063)

Homebrew! Plus, that little system can run virtually ALL of your old console and arcade games. This feature alone (if you don't mind using a firmware downgrader) is worth $169. The PSP is the most amazing portable piece of hardware that I've ever purchased (and subsequently sold.) Problem one is the lack of new games that take advantage of the platform's strength (Infrastructure WiFi!) Ports from other platforms do not. Problem two is the lousy analog stick. The screen is absolutely amazing.

Re:Software. (0, Flamebait)

stratjakt (596332) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637365)

The downgrader/modchip/whatever you want to call it isnt free.

And there's homebrew on the DS, and every other console out there. It's a pretty dopey argument.

My Treo does all of the emulation biz pretty well, and I'm ALLOWED to code homebrew for it out of the box.

Re:Software. (0)

Downgraders are free. You're a complete idiot, fanboy, and troll, and so are those modding you up.

Re:Software. (0)

Where do you get your information? The downgrader is FREE.

Other companies pay people to shill too. (0)

Well, if you are going to go that way, then so are all the Nintendo Wii/DS and Microsoft Xbox360 post here and elsewhere.

And Microsoft has been known to astroturf, so who can you really trust?

Well there is something wrong (4, Insightful)

Cthefuture (665326) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635783)

No touch screen. PDA's were around way before the PSP came out, it should have been the first thing they thought of. Both the PSP and GP2x suffer from the same problem. A touchscreen makes the device so much more versatile. Web browsers, calculators, calenders, console type applications, etc are much easier to do with a touch screen. It vastly opens up the possibilities for home-brew stuff.

Both the PSP and GP2x are high-powered cool machines but without a touchscreen I'm going to stick with my Nintendo DS.

Re:Well there is something wrong (1)

AvitarX (172628) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635993)

Web browsers, calculators, calenders on the DS?

Awsome.

Re:Well there is something wrong (0)

All three are available for the DS. Calculators and and calendars are homebrew. The browser is a "cart" you can buy made by Opera and published by Nintendo (is a bit slow and can't do flash or java or sound tho, but can do most AJAX)

Re:Well there is something wrong (5, Interesting)

SethraLavode (910814) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636243)

The lack of a touchscreen didn't do in the PSP. The GBA was a very capable portable without one, and before the DS (and up to a year afterward), no one would have thought it a viable or vital component. People understand it now, but when the PSP was in development, there was no way they could have foreseen how things would play out (especially at risk-averse Sony).

No, the biggest problem with the PSP is that it is a powerful system and that it was marketed that way.

Sony kept referring to it as portable PS2, with all the power of a home console in your hand, and what happens? A bunch of developers rush to port home console games over to the system without thinking about the particular needs of handheld gaming. Long load times, oversized levels, infrequent save points -- these are all things that longtime GBA devs knew to avoid, but were completely overlooked by the studios that were lured in by the easy power of the PSP.

So, a lot of the poor ports or poorly-thought out originals make their way over to the system, and people get the idea that there aren't any quality games for it. The few that are out there get drowned out by all the garbage, and people are hesitant to spend $40 to take a risk on new games.

Add in the "homebrew" enthusiasts who were also lured in by the promise of raw power, and it's a recipe for trouble, if not outright disaster.

Re:Well there is something wrong (2, Insightful)

zoney_ie (740061) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640923)

That's probably one of the more interesting diagnosis and does make it seem unsurprising that it was a recipe for disaster. However you left out the brilliance of the whole UMD mess...

Re:Well there is something wrong (2, Insightful)

kestasjk (933987) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636311)

If I want a game console/PDA/iPod/camera I won't buy a phone!

Maybe some time in the future portable devices will have modular upgradeable hardware and portable software, and we'll start to see true convergence, but that time hasn't come yet.

Improving a crappy gaming device by adding a PDA is like improving a crappy car by adding a fridge (damn I just used a car analogy).

Re:Well there is something wrong (0)

have you ever actually used a DS?

(by the way, the PDA functionality is homebrew not stock)

Yep (1)

StarKruzr (74642) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636803)

I think what you're striking on is that the PSP occupies this uncomfortable edge between "multipurpose device" and "gaming device." It has the power to be a PDA -- or a full-fledged computer, if Sony had put just a little more work into the UI, but its controls work like a game system, and there is no convenient way to switch from one to the other. Sure, you can hook up a keyboard, but that's unwieldy.

So it's too expensive for a portable game system, but designed wrong to be a portable computing device. Must be frustrating for PSP fans.

Re:Yep (1)

7Prime (871679) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640349)

The funny thing is that, with it's touch screen, and two screen interface, the DS seems to have a lot more potential as a PDA... although Nintendo has no interest in taking it in that direction. Basically the only thing the PSP has over the DS is power, and seriously, when was the last time you needed to render complex 3D lighting effects on a PDA?

I just wish Nintendo would come out with a suite of PDA apps. I guess they're releasing Opera in the US this June, but it's supposed to be slow and crippled. But I can understand why they don't: adding PDA functionality would muddy their image of being a system focused on games. I guess I'm fine with that.

I've never understood this argument (1)

StarKruzr (74642) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640807)

Why should that "muddy their image" at all? The only people who would get a PDA cart would be people who don't care about the image of the system. How does Nintendo suffer if one of their machines gains added functionality?

Too versatile (1)

rsilvergun (571051) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637453)

Sony sells PDAs and laptops, you know :).

Re:Too versatile (0)

I think that's his point!

Yep (-1, Troll)

Everything....

um games? (5, Insightful)

minus_273 (174041) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635787)

i suspect the main thing the psp needs are games and not UMD movies. All th PSP has are broken ports and the occasional remix. There is a reason why they have a ps1 emulator on it and most people use it for homebrew.

Re:um games? (1)

wild_berry (448019) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636929)

I happened to chance upon a feller working on PS2 ports for the PSP. His experience was that places that people play PSP and PS2 makes PS2 games less than suitable for the PSP. He added that the PSP hardware is good but hamstrung by a slower clock speed than the PS2, insufficient memory bus bandwidth and less graphics processing power. Kudos to those who try...

Re:um games? (1, Informative)

This is a myth based on a long memory of old news and an unwillingness to look at the current situation.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/psp/scores/ [metacritic.com] PSP
http://www.metacritic.com/games/ds/scores/ [metacritic.com] DS

You can either use the sores, or just look at the games available. Either way, there are both a lot of games and a lot of games people really enjoy on the PSP. Both the total number of games and the total number of high-scoring games is similar to the DS, and if you want to be picky (I don't personally think it's necessary in this case) the PSP is actually a little bit out in front in both areas.

People may not like other aspects of the PSP, but games are definitely not an issue if you just take a look at what's available.

P.S. A lot of the "ports" available are actually new editions of popular game franchises. But if you look at the the DS list, it include a rather large number ports and franchise games as well.

Simple solution for success. (4, Insightful)

B5_geek (638928) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635799)

Don't cripple your product!

If the PSP had been able to play movies at full resolution from the flash-card instead of only from the craptastic UMD then I would have bought one instead of the Video Ipod that I own now.

Re:Simple solution for success. (3, Informative)

Samedi1971 (194079) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635921)

It does have that ability as of firmware version 3.30.

Re:Simple solution for success. (1)

Justin205 (662116) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637117)

Should've had it out of the box, and support for homebrew apps/games (minus tech support if something goes wrong, perhaps, but not this constant race to shut down the homebrew).

Re:Simple solution for success. (0)

I've upgraded to the latest PSP firmware (been a happy owner since it came out, unlike a lot of the people I know :/). The increased video resolution option, as far as I can tell, is simply not working at this time. The only videos that I've been able to get working as of yet are the standard 320x240 low-res MP4's that I've been able to make (but didn't bother with) for a while...I don't know if they intend to correct this or what. Look it up on Google though, I'm not the only person having the same problem.

The latest version of PSP Video 9 can do it (1)

hudsonhawk (148194) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638183)

I've seen - and experienced - the same problems but in my experience PSP Video 9's latest release is able to make videos that show up and play at full res.

Encourage homebrew (5, Insightful)

Threni (635302) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635803)

Stop spending time, effort and money deliberately making it hard for people to develop their own software. Sony should be encouraging that, not making it harder. (They could reinstate lik-sang and pay them damages, too).

Re:Encourage homebrew (4, Insightful)

WinterSolstice (223271) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635905)

Seriously - I couldn't agree more.

When they announced the PSP I was all about it, but hadn't saved up enough yet. By the time I was ready to buy it, they had already crippled the hell out of it.

Once that was hacked - they did it again, so I was wary. Now it's just a piece of crap with an attractive screen and nothing to use on it. Two thumbs down. I'll take my low-res DS lite any day. It has these things called "games". They're "fun". I enjoy them, and getting online with it to play games isn't a PITA.

Re:Encourage homebrew (4, Insightful)

CogDissident (951207) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636029)

You know, someone just need to sit Sony down and say "Hey, Sony, this is a portable gaming system. Can you tell me what the purpose of the system is." then slap them in the face when they say something about next generation blah de crap (yes, thats a technical term).

Games are about the fun, if you make a game system that lacks games like that, that arn't engaging and easy to play on the go. They missed this point obviously because most of their games are made for people who sit around for hours and hours playing the same game.

Re:Encourage homebrew (5, Insightful)

MeanderingMind (884641) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636107)

I don't know about you, but when I look at the PSP and the PS3 I see the tears of engineers.

Somethine deep down inside me says, "A team of engineers poured their heart and soul into this, working with the crappy ideas marketing thrust upon them and doing their utmost to take their crap and make something beautiful." The end results may not be magnificent, but I can tell that someone tried to push them in the right direction.

The PR people need more than a slap in the face. They need to be dragged down to the R&D people and be forced to beg for forgiveness.

Re:Encourage homebrew (2, Interesting)

flydpnkrtn (114575) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638563)

Once again I gotta reply to this thread and ask that you guys take a look at the GP2X [gp2x.co.uk]

I bought one and I never looked back at the other guys/soldiers out here (I'm deployed to Iraq) who bought PSPs and all they talk about is how damn crippled the DRM-loving Sony PSP is.

And no I'm not a frigging paid shill damnit. Just a happy owner of a product that actually listens to its customers [gp32x.com]

Re:Encourage homebrew (1)

WinterSolstice (223271) | more than 7 years ago | (#18639747)

It does look pretty cool - I'll give it that. I don't see much for games, though.

Re:Encourage homebrew (1)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638553)

"Sony should be encouraging that, not making it harder"

Sony might be more open to that if they were making a profit on the console itself.

Re:Encourage homebrew (1)

Threni (635302) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638819)

The most consoles that get sold, the more they make from the sale of PSP games. Also, at £150 each in the UK, I don't take the idea that Sony are making a loss from it very seriously. People make that claim about every console ever sold - has it ever been true?

Needed a built-in Hard Disk (1)

The Media Mechanic (1084283) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635835)

The PSP needed a 10-20 GB hard disk to be able to download new games. Also an open-ended developer SDK so that anybody could write their own games and port classic games to this mobile platform.

I had one for about 4 months, the screen was beautiful, the controls were acceptable, but the UMB format was unfortunately stillborn. I eventually traded it in for a PS3.

It's owned by Sony (3, Insightful)

There's nothing wrong with it. It's a much better portable than the DS, supporting movies, music, and far better games. (Sorry, dragging crap around with the stylus and shouting into the microphone don't make a better experience, they just make the thing more annoying.)

But the problem is that it's owned by Sony, and Sony has managed to piss off the gaming community to the point where the mere fact that it's owned by Sony is enough to prevent people from buying it.

It's sad, really.

Re:It's owned by Sony (1)

heinousjay (683506) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635923)

Don't apologize when expressing your opinion. It makes you look like a pretentious asshole.

Re:It's owned by Sony (3, Funny)

MeanderingMind (884641) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636065)

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

Re:It's owned by Sony (1, Troll)

erroneus (253617) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636581)

Sony is worse than that. Sony has pretty much messed up PDAs and PCs/Notebooks. I haven't looked at their TVs lately and I have a 6+ year old camcorder that I haven't had any prolems with, but given the horrible experiences I have had with their other stuff, I'm having a really bad opinion of anything with the Sony name on it. Oh yeah, the Sony battery problems and the Sony/BMG rootkit issues have also been weighed into my opinion.

Re:It's owned by Sony (0)

That's a bunch of crap. I own a PSP and a DS. I bought both the first day they came out, respectively. I can count on my fingers the number of times I've played a game on my PSP. I play my DS almost every day. How could that be if the PSP is better? Am I just incredibly stupid? Do I just love spending $300 on something and never play it? Face it, the PSP has overwhelmingly bad games and is boring, which is the worst sin a game machine can commit. Of course that's the problem, Sony doesnt want you to think it's "just" a game machine whereas Nintendo actually has some god damned sense.

Re:It's owned by Sony (2, Insightful)

antime (739998) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637033)

That's a bunch of crap. I have both a DS and PSP and I can count on my fingers the number of times I've played a game on my DS. Face it, people like different kinds of games and for better or for worse that is one of the defining difference between the two platforms.

Re:It's owned by Sony (0)

I know you are but what am I LOL !!

Re:It's owned by Sony (1)

grumbel (592662) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638081)

Judging from the ratings [seul.org] the PSPs games aren't bad, in fact there are more and better ones then on the DS. However, I agree on the 'boring' part, those games that the PSP has might theoretically be good, but if I already played them half a years ago on the PS2 then thats worth nothing. The PSP is lacking good games that are designed from scratch to work with the system instead of just ported.

All that said, my DS is collecting dust just like the PSP, actually a bit more, since I like the PSP as eBook reader, but with the DS there are at least plenty of games that I can't get in a better version for one of the big consoles, with the PSP however there are almost none.

Re:It's owned by Sony (1)

ShadowMarth (870657) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637265)

New versions is Nintendo's "Secret to success"? I seem to recall they were selling better than the PSP by far LONG before the Lite was announced.

Re:It's owned by Sony (3, Insightful)

Chris Burke (6130) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638405)

If the success of the PSP was entirely dependent on sales to people who read slashdot and kotaku, then that in and of itself indicates a deep flaw in its design and strategy.

Nobody else cares about Sony's asshattery. Ask anyone with a Nintendo DS if they bought the DS instead of a PSP because of the rootkit, Sony PR, Lik Sang, etc, and 99/100 will say "Huh?"

The simple fact is that while you may dislike the gameplay on the DS, the vast majority of portable console purchasers disagree with you.

Re:It's owned by Sony (3, Insightful)

MobileTatsu-NJG (946591) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638581)

"(Sorry, dragging crap around with the stylus and shouting into the microphone don't make a better experience, they just make the thing more annoying.)"

I think the massive numbers of people that bought Brain Age would disagree with you on those points.

Sell off Sony Music / Movie Divisions (5, Insightful)

rlp (11898) | more than 7 years ago | (#18635871)

Sony needs to stop allowing their movie / music division to dictate to their consumer electronics division. They added UMD movies to the PSP that nobody wants. They added Blu-Ray to PS/3 and slipped their schedule out a year and added hundreds of dollars to the consoles cost. They keep putting all sorts of unwanted DRM into everything. Sell it off and get back to making well-designed consumer electronics.

UMD isn't really forced (2, Interesting)

Nazmun (590998) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636947)

You cna put movies into the memory card if i remember correctly. Assuming you want to format it yourself. Although burning your onw mini-dvd discs would have been far more awesome.

It's too locked down (3, Interesting)

Peter Cooper (660482) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636033)

I had to go through a ton of headaches just to get my PSP able to run homebrew stuff. I don't run homebrew because I want to screw Sony, but because there's so much good homebrew stuff! One of the biggest things is emulation. The PSP is great for playing NES and Sega Genesis games. The screen is a good size, controls are good, etc.. but Sony requires apps be signed unless you hack your PSP.

Screwed Up (4, Interesting)

MBCook (132727) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636037)

The PSP has had problems from day 1. I own one. I regret it. I haven't touched it in a long time. Their biggest mistake? The control scheme. NO SECOND ANALOG STICK. Considering how Sony really popularized that (during the PS1 time frame) and everyone uses it these days, not having it on the console is a huge mistake. It makes things tough for many of the games out there. Katamari got a weird control scheme, no good camera control in FPSes or 3D platformers (NOTE: I own a DS, which I love, but I think they should have put one analog stick on it). The games draught (as I see it) is the biggest problem. There is only ONE game I can think of that I am looking forward to: God of War for the PSP and I don't even think that has been officially announced.

How to improve it at this point? Better games, pure and simple. There have been so many games I've played in the past year or two on my DS compared to a tiny handful on my PSP.

Opening some kind of homebrew (even if regulated and locked down) would give me new interest because then I could make stuff and try other peoples. That wouldn't solve the games problem, but it would help some.

Interesting system, problems in design, I regret I purchased it (especially considering it's original price).

Re:Screwed Up (1)

Perseid (660451) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636129)

"NO SECOND ANALOG STICK"

Amen to that, brother. Socom for the PSP is probably a pretty decent game but I'll never know because I'll never be able to control it with a D-Pad and an analog nub.

Re:Screwed Up (2, Interesting)

Chris Burke (6130) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638745)

I have to admit, I *hate* the non-stylus inputs on the DS. The last couple generations of Nintendo portables have been very cool, but to me have had some extremely odd/stupid choices in terms of inputs.

The "portable N64" (the DS) doesn't have an analog stick! Mario64 and the N64 are what turned the analog stick into the standard for all subsequent (and in the case of the PSX, contemporary!) consoles. But Mario on the DS is a bizatch to control because they left out the most fundamental part of the original console.

Before that the "portable SNES" (the GBA) only has two face buttons, when again the SNES is what made having 4 buttons the standard. At least it has the shoulder buttons which was probably the most significant contribution of the SNES to to gaming input.

Okay, maybe it isn't that odd, and it certainly saves cost. The "portable PS2" has only one analog when it's parent console debuted with two. The Sega "portable Genesis" GameGear had only two buttons when the genesis had 3 (made playing Mortal Kombat a bitch for the 5 minutes the battery lasted). In fact the only handheld I can think of that didn't bastardize it's parent's controls was the original GameBoy, which wasn't actually a "portable NES".

So I guess I can only go back to my original point and say "I hate the non-stylus inputs of the DS, and the inputs of every other handheld except the gameboy".

Re:Screwed Up (2, Insightful)

drinkypoo (153816) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640419)

no good camera control in FPSes or 3D platformers

In my ever-so-humble opinion, pretty much every game which gives you full (or near full, like GTA) camera control does so because the camera behaves completely fucking stupidly. It's not in addition to an automatic camera, it's in lieu of it. I'd prefer to just see games with a good camera...

Re:Screwed Up (1)

Chris Burke (6130) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640849)

Which is really funny because GTA has the worst fucking camera behavior I've ever seen. There might be games with worse, but I haven't played them, and they'd basically have to point directly at the ground or the sky the entire time in order to actually show you less than the GTA camera. The fact that the manual camera controls also suck balls just adds insult to injury.

not much developers can help with... (4, Insightful)

psychokitten (819123) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636055)

Yeah there's a LOT wrong with the PSP - and nothing that's wrong with it is really anything developers can fix, either.

Overall, the PSP seems to have been designed for style and coolness first, with usability second. Consequently, the analog stick is pure shit and almost unusable. The D-pad is better, but not a whole lot so. With my smaller hands, the shoulder buttons are all but unusable as well.

The crossbar interface, or whatever Sony's calling it this month, while lauded on the PS3 - I find to be pretty underwhelming on the PSP as well. Sony should have just thrown this out and again - spent time looking for an interface that was more usable than 'cool'.

UMD game load-times are so atrociously slow that when I still had a PSP, bothering to change games simply doesn't worth it. If I didn't want to play the game that was already in there, or if I actually turned my PSP off rather than simply putting it on standby you couldn't just pick the system up and get that 'quick game fix' that portables are supposed to be so wonderful for.

The only place the developers can help of course is in the games department... fortunately (for them,) this is another one of the PSP's huge failings. Quit with the tired, crappy ports, and come out with more new and fun games on the system. Learn it's limitations and weaknesses, especially the media limitations. Design games that are quick to load, don't rely on that crappy analog... thing, and don't make you sit looking at a loading screen for two to three minutes any time you load a save, or move to a new level, or something along those lines.

As long as the PSP still suffers from THIS, gamers are just going to keep shutting it off and picking their DS back up.

Firmware Updates (1)

szyzyg (7313) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636093)

The PSP is great, but sony just keep breaking all the best software with their firmware updates.

Technical flaws (2, Insightful)

strredwolf (532) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636111)

I got a PSP before the price reduction (ARGH!) for video and music, with Wifi being a fringe benifit. I now felt like I wasted my money.

First, music is fine, don't get me wrong. The native player is nicely built, the interface is decent, and you can stare at it all the time. Video, though, requires a special subsection of the MP4 format that only a few people have cracked (including the Xvid4PSP utility). Oh, and you can't use a MPEG4 codec eazily ether -- you have to use H264. And depending on the firmware, these requirements can and will change (pre-3.30 vs 3.30).

Second is third party support. There's no cheap UMD burners out there. The UMD format is completely proprietary. You got Memory Sticks which are half-way good, but in order to run anything off of them you need to hack the ROM. Lock-in, anyone?

Third is Linux support. Right now, there's a slow-developing ucLinux port out there. There's no MMU on the PSP so it's not a GPX2 contender by any stretch. Sony did a good thing by opening the door a tad with Linux support on the PS3. Sony did a bad thing by killing the capabilities on the PS3 while running Linux.

I'm selling my PSP. For what I want, the iPod is better.

Re:Technical flaws (2, Insightful)

PygmySurfer (442860) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637727)

Not to flame, but the problem here is that you bought the wrong device for your needs.

Honestly though, it's not really your fault - Sony needs to decide just what they want the PSP to be - is it a portable gaming machine, or a portable media player? Sure, it can do both, but Sony has to decide on it's primary funciton. Instead, they'd rather pitch it as the ultimate solution to whatever you're looking for - gaming, movies, music - and it ends up not doing any of them spectacularly well.

Re:Technical flaws (1)

martin_b1sh0p (673005) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640263)

I'm selling my PSP. For what I want, the iPod is better.

I also have a PSP. I love it. However, I'm finding that I use it more for the WiFi, Music and Video as well. I've got 10-12 games but I never really play them (and they do look beautiful and are fun) but I'm just more into my XBox 360 right now. Having said that, I may actually sell mine when the iPhone comes out (i.e. I need a new cell anyway, and it will take care of my WiFi, Music and Video needs too).

Carville said it best (2, Insightful)

QuantumHobbit (976542) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636113)

Paraphrasing James Carville, " It's the games stupid." There's nothing innately wrong with the PSP other than the price maybe. Sure it's not as innovative as the DS, but killer-ap games are what sell consoles and the PSP doesn't have any killer-ap games like the PS2 had in GTA 3.

PSProblems (2, Interesting)

MeanderingMind (884641) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636211)

The biggest problem with the PSP isn't inherent to the system itself, but to the vision of those utilizing it. It's in the very name of the portable itself, "Playstation Portable".

The PSP is treated as though it were a Playstation console, except portable. Little or no consideration is made that it is any different froma Playstation, save in its hardware specifications. As such, we see ports or sequels to games that fail to take into account the need for a different control scheme and game focus.

At the same time, it's drawing on many developers who are not used to working in the portable sphere of gaming. They know what sells on console, and assume the same is true on portables. It only takes a cursory look at the software library for the Gameboy and DS to see this is not true at all.

The result is a system with great potential that is wasted upon people who don't understand it. The PSP and DS both require a fundamentally different approach to game developement than a home console, but only the DS is seeing that.

how about... (4, Insightful)

Churla (936633) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636259)

Sony makes it.

It sounds all "Anti-Sony fanboi" flamish but there are reasons. For years, dare I say decades, I was a Sony zealot. They had some of the best audio components available for a while. I loved the home theater products I purchased from them. I still have an AV receiver of theirs from the 90-92 range running in my gameroom.

I got turned off starting with the Mini-disc and moving forward. It became somewhat obvious to me that Sony was, as someone else mentioned, letting the media division push an agenda on the hardware division and hardware innovation suffered. The PS3 for instance was a shameless and unhidden push to get a format into prominence by loss selling a console. Any time you have a company selling hardware at a loss hoping to make up the money on software you no longer have an innovative hardware company. (I'm also looking at Apple somewhat with that statement as well , although on a computer hardware front they're starting to do some impressive things lately)

The fact is if you buy a PsP and use it in accordance with how Sony wants you have a crippled hand-held platform. If the only way to get real performance and value out of the platform involves hacks, that should be a big red flag.

Sony. Next question please.

normuser (1079315) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636329)

It was made by sony.

UMDs are way too slow. (1)

mlk (18543) | more than 7 years ago | (#18636525)

Needs a second thumb stuck.

Thats it.

Homebrew would be a nice feature - I quite like MS XBox approch to homebrew more than the Nintendo (ignore it, but don't overly actively stop it) or the PS3 (too cripped).

PS1 Emulation (0)

For a long while, I thought that the PSP was a big waste of money for me, like others who have posted. However, after installing hacked firmware and playing around with PS1 emulation, I finally feel like I got my money's worth. I own three games for the PSP. I also own about 40 PS1 games. For an RPG fanboy like myself, I've felt that portables have always been lacking in this gaming space. But being able to take a couple Final Fantasy games with me on a large MemoryStick on the airplane when I'm traveling for business makes those cross-country plane rides MUCH more bearable. That said, I wish I didn't have to buy an additional battery to keep the gaming going coast-to-coast.

Actually the Gameboy sold (2, Interesting)

kinglink (195330) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637323)

The new formats came years later. There was a Gameboy pocket but the gameboy was still selling well at that point. GBA SP came after millions of Gameboys sold, the DS lite is a better model of the remarkably well selling DS. None of these created new interest, it just enhanced it.

The PSP's biggest issue is it's a "port" system. A PS2 lite, and not in a good way. You can't use the same discs, or the same data, but you can rebuy your favorite PSX and PS2 games for use on your PSP.

What the PSP needed was a DS line up of unique games. Games we haven't played before and will play again and again on every system. Nintendogs alone sold more DSes than probably any other game while the PSP was trying to sell Burnout 3 and wipeout for the 3rd or fourth time.

That's not to say the PSP is bad. It has at least twice the power of the DS, but the unique and great games (like Lumines) gets caught up in the millions of ports which have a been there, done that feeling. Instead of greenlighting everything the PSP should have told developers no to ports (or at least demanded a non port for every port. The DS does have ports but it also has it's own unique games which is what is selling their system when the PSP is struggling.

The PSP is alright (3, Insightful)

SmallFurryCreature (593017) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637559)

And that is just it. It is alright. Damned by faint praise. It is a middle of the road device, so while it doesn't actually totally suck at anything, it doesn't shine at anything either.

Take its size, no it is NOT huge. The biggest is the Nintendo DS. That one is larger then the PSP in all dimensions. The DS Lite is exactly the same size as the PSP if you cut of the rounded sides of the PSP. But it is huge compared to the Gameboy advance mini.

So it ain't the biggest, and it ain't the smallest. I wouldn't want a DS in my pocket, I can't slip the PSP in as easy as a GBA mini.

Its screen is amazing scratch proof compared to other devices (say the GBA), but I won't be as easy going with it as my DS.

It doesn't have to play "lesser" games because of its hardware like the GBA/DS series BUT its hardware while similar to the PS2 is NOT close enough to actually be able to just play PS2 games. If for no other reason then that is lacks the controls for those games. This is perhaps the most damning (is that a word) aspect of the PSP. The GBA and DS are NOT capable of running the "big" games and so they don't. They have their own unique games, made entirely for the handheld. Quite a few of the PSP games are clones of "full" games, wich just don't fit on the console.

Not that Sony/PSP is alone in this. I remember a GBA game that for its save system required you to note down a 16 character code. Yeah that is userfriendly, especially on the go.

But simply put, I at least do not play handhelds as fullblown consoles, I play them on the move. That requires a certain style of gaming, for instance, don't make the game impossible to see in bright daylight.

Other middle of the road stuff that damns it. It is an mp3 player. But Memory sticks are smallish and expensive. Plus the player itself is a bit limited. It is like carrying an old style HD player with you with the storage space of a flash player.

It plays video, and fairly reaosonable, except that its storage space is barely big enough to hold a complete movie (and all your other crap). The dead pixels everyone seem to have don't help. No sony, dead pixels are not acceptable, they are the signs of a broken product and people can't look past them on a screen this small.

So it is bigger then an video iPod, and indeed most portable video players, but its storage space sucks and its screen has defects.

A nice thing about the PSP is that it has speakers. You can therefore do a thing with it that an iPod cannot do. Use it as a jukebox. Nice, except that its speakers lack power. Some people use their phones this way and their music is far louder. So you can use it as a jukebox, but only if everyone is really quiet.

Its screen is bigger then the Nintendo handhelds BUT it has less real estate compared to the DS.

Simply put, what is the PSP trying to be. If it was a handheld PS2 it would be a console on the go. But it ain't. If it had more storage it could be a media player. But it ain't. If it had stronger speakers, it could be a jukebox like system. But it ain't. If it games were more made for being on the move. It could be fun like the Nintendo games. But it ain't.

The sad fact is that I play GTA on my PSP and that is it. I also use it to play movies and such but mostly I use it for as a jukebox for when I am in a hotel or something, while I play games on my DS.

Frankly, with all its faults, perhaps the second biggest mistake by Sony (apart from making few "on the move" games) is that PSP games are just so fucking expensive. I rather buy a DS game then for 10-20 euros less.

Re:The PSP is alright (0)

I bought my PSP when I was in the army in AIT.
Lots of the battle buddies bought portable DVD players. I was holding out, and was accually planning on getting a DS, till one of the Sony fanboys I met from basic showed me spiderman 2.

The PSP screen is AMAZING for such a little device. It occured to me; I could put down $250 on a wifi-enabled, gameplaying movie player. Its smaller than a portable DVD player, sharper resolution.
I would save money, and only have to keep track on one little device. Plus with the planned webbrowser, keyboard, and maybe linux, I would have a small computer to play with. I was sold.

sadly, for the reasons I go into below, I realized I was suckered.

I went to Amsterdam a year later. I bought 3 UMD movies to keep me entertained on the way over. I expected the battery to hold out for 1 or 2. I was able to watch all 3 movies, with stopping/starting/rewinding, and still had a little battery left over.

Also, I got a good use out of it as an remote connection to my music files.
RSS feeds + Apache + PSP + Wifi = wireless streaming music.

Even with what I've gotten from the PSP, I really regret not buying a DS instead.

The big failings:
1) Crippled Movie playback...well, crippled everything.
Sony could have made a totally awesome movie player, but they descided to make cripple it to almost uselessness instead. Its waaaaay too much work to put video files onto it.

And instead of realizing "hey, people are making ebook readers, games, and utilities for our system, making more people want to buy it. This could be good for us.", Sony went the "you haxxored our handheld! We will futility try to stop you with updates!" The homebrew community for PSP has a big following. If sony would stop trying to shut them down at every turn, they'd realize they have a very powerful handheld system, and devoted hobbists/fans who could add incredible value.

2) No keyboard (or webbrowser at launch)
Going along with the crippled functionality. The PS didn't ship with its webbrowser enabled. And what could have been an awesome PDA-replacement failed without a keyboard. (text entry with a d-pad is painful) Sony has always been terrible about accessories, but the PSP REALLY needs a thumbboard.

3) High res screen is awesome...but too small on anything but max res.
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade was set to be a company favorite. Until we discovered it was almost unplayable. We couldn't see enough of the battle feild. The tiny highres screen is boss for movies, but the games I saw couldn't take advantage of it. (Those polygon edges were ultra crisp, though)

4)No applifier.
The headphones on my PSP, especially on movies, are no where near load enough. I had to press my ear into my shoulder to beable to hear anything in the airport and on the flight, and it wasn't all that loud. Sony should have realized that people might be watching movies on trains or buses, and upped the output of their 'phones.

Really, the only thing wrong with the PSP is sony trying to cripple the hell out of it, and make it what they want it to be, instead of letting the users and consumers decide.

Re:The PSP is alright (1)

Stevecrox (962208) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640077)

I love my PSP and really want to say your wrong, but you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with the PSP's faults, a 1gb memory card is £40 (twice minisd's price) the screen is rubbsih is bright light (like in the garden on a sunny afternoon.) I have used my PSP as a portable media player and it isn't that bad but it wouldn't have hurt to have had louder speakers. You know I hope someone from Sony is reading this cause

I'd pay Money for a fix to play in bright light (most of the time I want to play is in bright light)

More games which don't appear to be cheap ports, games like LocoRoco, Tekken 5, GTA Vice City Stories and Wipeout all work really well as pick up and drop games for me.

More sega drive ports, I really enjoy playing sonic,sonic 2 and golden axe from the sega mega drive collection but it takes longer to load Sonic the Hedghog than it does to load Lego Star Wars 2 a game which I hate because of the rediculous load times, install the emulator on the memory card or something just let me get to sonic,golden axe,etc.. within seconds.

Finally make them UMD films cheaper! £20 for UMD which is £7.99 for the DVD version, just why would I buy UMD when I can rip the DVD into the PSP format and watch it through my memory card?

I honestly think most of the issues with the PSP could be fixed by Sony with a little work.

Re:The PSP is alright (5, Informative)

renleve (1074957) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640507)

This part is dead wrong. The PSP is 6.7 x 2.9 x 0.9, the DS is 5.85 x 3.33 x 1.13 and the DS Lite is 5.24 in x 2.9 in x 0.85 in--all measurements pulled from the units' respective Wikipedia pages. Even before you count the size (and inconvenience) of having a separate sleeve/screen protector for the PSP, which is built into the DS with the fold-down second screen, the PSP is nearly an inch longer than the DS and a full inch and a half longer than the DS Lite. Strictly speaking in terms of a device that is intended to be to pulled out and pocketed on the fly, I can't imagine how the Sony engineers could have botched their machine worse.

God of War PSP isn't out yet (1)

Mongoose (8480) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637823)

...with features like Bloom and other nice features. The real story is that the engine used for GoW:PSP is being licensed to other developers. Once that happens expect a ton of much better looking games.

The PSP isn't for want of games mind you. If you actually read charts the number of games for the DS and PSP are roughy the same, and the PSP has much more multiplayer titles. Also you can import all the games and add-ons from one territory to the next without installing a modchip. The main difference is brand loyalty from kids that grew up on whatever nintendo released. The DS doesn't appeal to me at all, but I'm not some kid playing pokemon or various minigames. I mostly play Japanese title on mine aside from Metal Gear and Killzone in English. The PSP is the best entertainment you can have on a plane bar none. The new firmware lets you have fullscreen movies too. That's the real killer feature is they keep expanding functionality. They should have had that support sooner however... my wishlist would be a hobby API so I could make a PDF reader instead of using pdftopng and zooming all over. I would even make it for free. =)

Re:God of War PSP isn't out yet (1)

Mr. Hankey (95668) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640719)

The PSP's battery gives up the ghost a bit too early for me, unless it's just used as a music player. When I'm flying back and forth to Japan, a 10 to 11 hour flight, the DS Lite can run the entire time. The only caveat is that you have to be careful to not enable wireless features; RF transmission is not allowed during flight.

The PSP's real problem... (3, Interesting)

Schnapple (262314) | more than 7 years ago | (#18637869)

Chris Remo of Shacknews spoke to a developer off the record and apparently the problem with the PSP is that, because it's so close to a PS2 in terms of hardware (it's inferior, but it's closer than a DS is in terms of power) and it requires such a huge budget to make a top notch PSP title that it doesn't make sense to do so, given that you could much more effectively make a PS2 game and have 100 million people in the install base, as opposed to the anemic PSP numbers.

I think what might curb this would be when/if the PS2 ceases to be - but by that time Sony will have unveiled the PSP2 or bailed out of the market entirely.

Contrary to popular belief... (1, Flamebait)

hiphoplsr (1047466) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638055)

There are lovers of the PSP milling around. Me being one of them. I know im just setting myself up for flamebait, but I think my PSP is awesome. I have a few qualms with it, but even iPod users have problems. Dont get me wrong, I have tons of portables (i even break out the old Lynx and Gamegear from time to time) but the PSP reigns supreme in my book. iPods are too simple for me (although i DO have a shuffle... who doesnt want a flash drive with a headphone jack?) and PDA's are too business-oriented for my tastes as well... the PSP just seems to fit the bill. MyLO, on the other hand, is a peice of garbage.

It's sad that you can't say anything good about it (1)

hudsonhawk (148194) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638421)

...without being branded a shill anymore.

I'm with you, I really like the PSP. I think it has a good library; I actually like the multi-platform releases, since I have more time to play the PSP than I do my 360. And it's multi-faceted in a way that the DS is not. I can't imagine commuting without it.

But:
It should be a little smaller; it's tough to even fit it in my coat pocket sometimes, since you have to keep it in a case due to the unprotected screen and thumbstick.
I also wish it had built-in bluetooth, because once you use A2DP headphones you'll never go back.
If they want me to use it as an MP3 player, it should really resume playing when I bring it back from suspend mode

People are overly hard on the device. I'm not sure if it's fierce territoriality by Nintendo fans or what, but the fact is that the PSP is the first successful handheld gaming device by any company other than Nintendo.

Unfortunately, those 20 million people don't buy very many games - with an install base that big there should be more than 7 or 8 games that have sold more than a million. I think this is because they've captured the casual Madden crowd but completely failed to win over the hard core gamers, as evidenced by the anti-PSP meme you see all over the net.

Could do with improving... (1)

Rycochet (1006897) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638091)

Open it up to homebrew - make it an option in the settings so homebrew doesn't work by default, but at the same time you don't need to do anything more than go into the settings to (potentially) open up your PSP to homebrew stuff - and if you can put it on a memory stick then surely you can do that...

Change the expansion adapter to be compatible with the iPod - I'm not as bothered about this, but a short adapter cable to let me use any iPod speakers or other expansions, and the added benefit of companies (and individuals) hardware hacking the output (and input?) would benefit everybody.

Do a touchscreen - not necessarily as a new PSP, but as an expansion that plugs in the top (so you've also got somewhere to store the stylus), and have OS supported "if it's there then use it, otherwise use the joystick as an analog device" functions.

Do a tilt detection module (*not* motion detection - the thought of a PSP hitting my head is painful) - same sort of functions as above...

Release games on memory stick - the drive is a *real* power drain...

View of a semi-fan of the PSP (2, Interesting)

FrankDeath (746264) | more than 7 years ago | (#18638521)

Defending the PSP feels a lot like siding with Microsoft, but I'm going to do it anyway. There is nothing wrong with the PSP itself; Sony's attitude toward the PSP is the problem.

The PSP is a pretty slick piece of hardware. There are many complaints about it (high price, long load times, large size, awkward controls, lack of games). The people who focus on these easily attacked points seem to miss the strengths of the system:

* The PSP is powerful enough to emulate virtually all video game console systems that are of the PSX/N64 generation and older.

* The despised UMD discs hold quite a bit of data. Games like GTA:LCS are possible because there is enough space for them. The platform is capable of much more than ADHD-inspired mini games.

* The system connects to a computer using a standard USB cable and appears as a disk. You can copy whatever you want to it (homebrew, music, pics, movies).

The PSP has a lot of potential. With a large memory stick and the right firmware you can carry a large portion of video game history with you wherever you go--almost like an iPod of video games.

Though I'm happy with the hardware I must admit that Sony is strangling the PSP. To allow homebrew is to allow the pirating of games. Sony upgrades the firmware to remove exploits that allow homebrew to continue and then forces users to upgrade to play new games.

Sony fails to realize that homebrew ADDS value to the PSP. The PSP doesn't need a new business model. It simply needs fewer restrictions and more games that people like enough to buy.

Needs internal hard drive (2, Insightful)

amohat (88362) | more than 7 years ago | (#18639221)

Give it a 30GB internal hard drive and improve the battery. Even improve the web browser to play youtube and flash in general. Skype would be huge. Make some sort of sharing via wifi possible.

Do that and keep costs down, maybe $350 and you got a huge hit. Maybe save money and space by ditching the stupid UMD altogether. Digital distribution sounds like a better alternative, or maybe get games on Memory Sticks.

God, it's so obvious...stupid sony.

I don't even own one. (0)

... and I have a whole list.

It's too expensive. HELLO! We're in the middle of a recession! You think the upperclass have time to play video games? You think the middel and lower class can afford these price tags?

It's made by Sony so everyone knows to hate it in advance. Trust me, by the time the early adopters have evaluated it, their prejudice will be vindicated.

DEAD PIXELS! DEAD PIXELS! DEAD PIXELS!
What a PR nightmare. People were bragging to their friends that they were one of the lucky ones who didn't get a defective product. Not only that, BUT! - That is especially awesome, because Sony is telling the not so lucky one's "TOUGH SHIT." The damn thing is already $200 too expensive, and then you have to take in to account that it's a gamble on if you'll get a fully functional product for that. If you want to cut costs on quality control, make a dead pixel edition for $100 and dump them on ebay. Then it's not a kill joy blemish on the shiny new toy because they expected it. I have a fiberoptic borescope with dead pixels I got this way. Guess why I don't mind the dead pixels? Then you have the fashion accessory factor of people wanting the full quality version and being willing to pay the $200 difference. Hell, claim the ebay ones are stolen in a press release so you don't even get ghetto points for selling off your rejects. WORD OF MOUTH SUICIDE.

DRM. Nuff said. No seriously. We're not just talking. We seriously won't tolerate this crap. And guess who's word of mouth has the biggest impact on consumer electronics adopters? That's right, the FUCKING NERDS. You think they ask us for fashion advice while we're fixing their computers?

Firmware upgrades breaking shit.

No keyboard.(the primary reason I never got one.) I wanted to install a hacking distro and use mine as a gaming device/James Bond worthy portable wifi hacking platform. Pretty hard to do without a keyboard accessory.

In other words: Up your ass Sony, for not only not providing an accessory that you said you would, but for not even releasing specs for 3rd parties to work with. You are officially asshole cock-teases. It's like watching a rich man flush money down a toilet in front of a homeless shelter. You're fucking yourself, and if you weren't such an idiot, you could make that last step and offer a product that would IMPROVE LIVES. Instead, you act like incompetant greedy assholes, and nobody wants your useless shit. Do you have any idea how many times someone has tried to sell me a used PSP for $150?

Portable system needs portable games. Not shitty ports.

No second thumbstick.

You decided to cut support for the platform to try and force upgrades to the incredibly forgettable Sony attempt at an iPod killer. So you have a shitty game system, that was almost a good media device, getting it's media support neglected, to try to force upgrades to a shitty media device. GENIUS.

Sony, I hope you're reading this because I want you to listen closely. You should listen to me, because I am a broke motherfucker, and effective use of money is exactly what your company is lacking in. I am an expert in the subject. I want to tell you why a broke mother fucker like me, chooses to spend the money he does have on other brand devices.

1. If my product breaks before it's time, I don't care if I call a decade later, it's a lot cheaper to you to make me happy and fix my product and appologize for the inconvenience, than it is for me to boycott your product's, and make sure the entire world hears my negative word of mouth publicity against you. I SAVE UP to buy things like consoles once. I will sacrifice a lot in performance and even price for reliability and quality. If you get a reputation for making tanks again, I'm fine with your current price tags. Or you can keep making shit, and I want the prices cut in half.

2. Your media devision? Music/Movie Distrobution is dying, gaming distrobution is taking over. Quit killing your gaming/electronics divisions, trying to prop up the dead weight.

3. You WERE king. STEP 1 is to realize that if you aren't in second yet, you will be soon. You need to sit down with your share holders and say- "We fucked up. We thought we were invicincible, we tried to rape our customers, and now our customers hate us. We are going to do our best to keep up with the PS3, but we are going to have to accept that we aren't going to be king for awhile. We need to take advantage of this downtime, to prepare to dominate the next generation of console wars."

Sony, the reason we hate you is that your products have so much potential. And time and time again you FUCK UP. Either we pay for it and it hurts, or you pay for it and it hurts to watch. We are out of patience. Shape up, or fuck off, because we're tired of watching you disappoint us. We see potential, and everything you do, is an enourmous let down because of that unachieved potential.

Quoted from the article (1)

Shabadage (1037824) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640029)

"Sports titles and FPS's are two genres which I feel have never really taken off on handheld platforms, and the PSP has proven it can execute in these genres." Is this guy smoking crack? FPS's are terrible on the PSP, which can be fully attributed to the lack of a second analog stick. Hell, even if they had just moved it to the other side of the machine it would have worked. The only decent full aiming FPS I've played on a handheld was Metroid Prime Hunters; and that game wasn't spectacular by any means. Coded Arms wasn't horrible; until you factored in the control scheme. Same problem with CoD and MoH. Adding a second analog stick would make me SO happy that'd I'd actually go out and buy a PSP (Been needing a portable movie player). Though adding a touchscreen too (Dare I wish?) would clinche it for me. Imagine! Browsing the net in a non retarded way on a Sony system!

Brick (1)

grim4593 (947789) | more than 7 years ago | (#18640261)

PSP's should have some kind of backup utility so they do not become bricked. Wireless routers do this, why not PSP's? I would pay the extra $5 for a rom chip that prevents a $200 device from becoming useless.