Sony Announces PS3 Slim, Price Cut, Improvements To Home

Soulskill posted more than 5 years ago | from the worst-kept-secret dept.

PlayStation (Games) 427

Sony's press conference today at the Gamescom convention was full of announcements. They officially revealed the PS3 Slim, which will be 36% lighter and 33% smaller than the normal PS3. It will come with a 120 GB hard drive and list for $299 when it hits retail stores in early September. Normal PS3s will drop to that price as well starting tomorrow. (Unfortunately for Sony, their unveiling was spoiled a bit by several retailers jumping the gun on new advertisements, not to mention the rumors that had been swirling for weeks ahead of time.) Sony also announced a PS3 firmware update as well as new features and customization options for Home. In addition to that, the PS3 and PSP will be getting a digital reader service. At launch it will bring access to Marvel comic books, and will expand from there. They didn't talk much about their upcoming motion control scheme, but promised more details next month at the Tokyo Game Show.

Sweet (3, Insightful)

c00rdb (945666) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109427)

I'm gonna buy one. This is a good deal.

Re:Sweet (5, Insightful)

GigaHurtsMyRobot (1143329) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109655)

Rather than a good deal, I'd say it's finally priced the way it should be. I will also be getting one at this price... I have been a 360 zealot for a long time, but will get one of these for exclusives and PSN titles if I want them.

Hoorah (-1, Troll)

Buyy Buuy Buy frst.

It would be really nice... (5, Insightful)

8127972 (73495) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109463)

..... If Sony restored backward compatibility with PS2 games. That and not the price nor the size of the console is why I haven't bought one yet.

Re:It would be really nice... (5, Informative)

Microlith (54737) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109503)

Considering that PS2s are still selling (strangely) well and getting new game releases, it's unlikely Sony will restore BC (even if only software emulation) to the PS3 platform. We'll probably see it return around the time they EOL the PS2 platform completely (once the PS3's successor is out.)

Although I'm not sure that holds water, at least if they're still selling the PSOne, which I think they are...

Re:It would be really nice... (0)

Why would the put back emulation on the PS3 when the PS3 successor is out, wouldn't it make more sense (in the run-by-moneygrubbing-psychopaths way) to add it to the NEW unit with a 'get it while it's hot, tomorrow it might be gone, wink-wink' instead to get people to buy the more expensive newer unit?

The only hope for PS2 emulation to return (in software only form) to the PS3 that I see, would be if PS2 sales went way down and/or the "PS4" gets critically delayed.

Re:It would be really nice... (3, Insightful)

halcyon1234 (834388) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110035)

I doubt it. I'd love to be able to play my PS2 games on the PS3, but I know it'll never happen. Not when they can "sell" the same games through the PS Store and get another $10-$20 out of people who have already bought the games.

Re:It would be really nice... (2, Informative)

Chris Mattern (191822) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110383)

Er...you can't buy PS2 games for non-compatible PS3s through the PS Store because the lack of PS2 compatibility means you can't play them. You can buy PSX games through the PS Store, but you can also play PSX games right from the disc (if you still have your old copy) on *any* PS3. The real gyp is that you can't play old PSX games on your PSP, because the PSP has no way to read the discs. For that, you really do have to buy them again from the PS Store.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

vrillusions (794844) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110609)

This is why I don't understand why Sony doesn't do this. Supposedly the ps1 games are selling good, why not add ps2 games to that list? And it's not like they don't know how to code the software compatibility because it was in the launch 60gb ps3 (I think). Just seems like a no brainer to me as it's something that would make money. Although sony never really seems to "get it" when it comes to... anything

Re:It would be really nice... (4, Interesting)

King_TJ (85913) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110097)

It only seems strange that the PS2 is still selling so well, until you realize that the PS3 really isn't "standard def. TV friendly".... I know quite a few people who play games on their PS2, and bought replacements when their old unit broke/wore out, but have no real interest in a PS3, simply because they're still using a large-ish tube type standard-def TV as their main television set. (If you have cable or satellite, you really have no need to replace it, after all.)

My experience with using a PS3 in standard def resolution was eye-strain inducing, trying to read many of the text fonts the games would display.

There's a pretty big ratio of PS3 owners who coupled the purchase with a new plasma or LCD TV .... partially because they wanted a Blu-Ray player for that fancy new set, but realistically, it's practically a requirement to enjoy many of the game titles too.

Re:It would be really nice... (0, Flamebait)

pnewhook (788591) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110473)

People still watch tube tvs?

Re:It would be really nice... (3, Insightful)

space_jake (687452) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109545)

Just seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot by not offering backwards compatibility with the PS2. The PS2 has a huge library and dominated the console market for its generation.

Re:It would be really nice... (4, Informative)

geminidomino (614729) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109573)

They did on the early models. They yanked it out of a later revision (a month before I was going to buy one, amusingly enough).

Re:It would be really nice... (5, Informative)

Xtravar (725372) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109629)

Find a used CECHA01 (that's the serial number that has hardware backward compatibility).

Yes, I now own two PS3's. The CECHA01 runs a little hotter and slightly noisier, but I mostly fixed that by changing the thermal paste on it - heck, the warranty was void anyway.

ZOMG NERD ALERT!!

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

Zencyde (850968) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110081)

I'd like to remind you that you ARE posting on Slashdot.

Re:It would be really nice... (2, Informative)

Nursie (632944) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110143)

I've got one of the ones with hardware back-compat.

Unfortunately I bought it in the far east and live in Europe.

So it won't play any of *my* old games library. Damn them.

Re:It would be really nice... (0)

I've got an old 80 gig that I got a few years back and this whole not playing ps2 thing seems foreign to me. Never had any trouble with it and plays every ps2/ps1 game I've ever tried..

Re:It would be really nice... (5, Funny)

Mad Leper (670146) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109677)

Sony will however sell you a PS2 compatibility kit to go with your PS3. It's 100% compatible with all PS2 games and even comes with an original PS2 controller.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

mattack2 (1165421) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109893)

Obviously you're joking, but having two separate consoles would be easier if they (1) took one power plug(*), (2) took one input on the TV/receiver.

Personally, the lack of backward compatibility is the major reason I haven't even thought of buying a PS3.. though admittedly, I don't get *tons* of games for my PS2, and even then, they're basically always $20 games. (Though I do tend to buy as many as I can new, and not on ebay.) Even software backward compatibility, with a list of games they KNOW have major issues, even if they say in some cases they WON'T fix them, would let me judge whether it was good enough for my cases.

(*) What I really mean is to have a "pass through" power plug so you could theoretically plug the PS2 into the back of the PS3. Vaguely similar to how some receivers have power plugs on the back for other devices (though those require the receiver itself to be on, I think).

Re:It would be really nice... (0)

Why not buy a used 60BG PS3? If you want PS2 backwards compatibility, that's they way to go.

Also no more memory cards and no more memory card shuffling = awesome. I wish the Wii did the same thing instead of needing Gamecube memory cards.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

mattack2 (1165421) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110627)

Well, I think the backwards compatible PS3s will actually keep value because of that feature.

I thought you needed an adapter to use the PS2s memory cards (which are WAY cheaper from third parties, btw) on a PS3 anyway.. Will it then use the PS3's memory after first importing the data?

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

Mad Leper (670146) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110103)

Acknowledged, I already had a PS2 before I bought a PS3 so backwards compatibility wasn't a big deal for me. I've heard of nothing but problems with the XBOX software emulation so I think hardware would still be the ideal option for 100% compatibility.

The pass-through idea is interesting, I wonder if it would be possible to design a PS3 with a docking port of some kind that would take the PS2 console power/video/controller inputs and feed them through the PS3.

Good, but not perfect (1)

tepples (727027) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110055)

I made this same point in a recent article, but somebody pointed out the following reasons why just buying a PlayStation 2 console is not perfect:

1. Extra set of cables to the TV.
  2. It comes with only one controller, and multiplayer games don't work with his existing collection of Sixaxis/Dual Shock 3 controllers, even though it has a USB port on the front.
  3. It doesn't have anything like the virtual memory cards of the PS3's PS1 emulation and the early PS3's PS2 emulation. Apparently people like to play sim games that take up 10% of the memory card, and some failure modes render all files on a memory card unreadable.

Re:It would be really nice... (-1, Troll)

You can get a brand new PS2 for $100 - the same as the price cut.

At this point, you're just a serial complainer who will never be happy with anything. So quit whining.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

greg1104 (461138) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109817)

Backward compatibility costs Sony significant development resources for a feature that only impacts a small number of people. The real diehards all bought the early PS3 models that had support for PS2 games. While vocal, the people who are still left waiting backward compatibility but not willing to pay for it in the past are a tiny number, and I can't imagine any scenario where Sony starts caring about you. Like those of us who wanted a PS3 when they played SACDs, a feature cut in the same period as backward compatibility, you should just recognize that Sony doesn't feel your sale is worth what it would cost to produce the product you want, and they never will.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

bickle (101226) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110129)

Backward compatibility costs Sony significant development resources for a feature that only impacts a small number of people. Uh, not really. It was a hardware chip, so it required zero development resources. It actually required resources to redesign the PS3 without the chip. Later revisions included a software emulator which did require development resources, but early in the PS3 lifecycle the only cost was the cost of the chip (which I would think would be even cheaper now).

Re:It would be really nice... (1, Insightful)

Seriously, if that's the only thing holding you back, you're really missing out on some great exclusive titles...

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

eln (21727) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109961)

PS2 compatibility means nothing to me, but then I don't have a huge library of PS2 games, and games from that era now look so terribly dated by today's standards that they're hardly worth buying even at used prices.

I do, however, really dig the idea that the XBox 360 can be used to play Netflix instant play movies on the TV (although it requires an XBox Live account). If PS3 had that as well, I'd buy the PS3 over the 360 in a heartbeat now that they're basically price compatible. As it is, though, I'm torn. Although, since I'm also looking at possibly getting an HDTV in the near future, the BluRay player in the PS3 could become a big deal as well (they still have those, right?).

Dammit Sony, stop screwing around and start supporting Netflix on the PS3 and I'd buy one tomorrow!

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

Enderandrew (866215) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110197)

Penny Arcade covered this. PlayOn will give you Hulu and Netflix access on your PS3. You have to pay a one-time charge for PlayOn, but that is cheaper than 4 months of XBox Live.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

revengebomber (1080189) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110231)

Microsoft payed for console Netflix exclusivity. Sony responded by including it in every product except the PS3.

Re:It would be really nice... (1)

evilkasper (1292798) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110403)

For me it was the price, I could care less about the backwards compatibility, it was convenient for sure. I still have a perfectly good PS2 that I still use. The initial buy in price was to steep for the majority of their target audience, especially when you could get the same title on the 360. Sure you can argue the PS3 has better graphics, but truthfully graphics aren't everything.

No Linux Support? (4, Informative)

alphan (774661) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109467)

"Removal of 'Install Other OS' feature

The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system."
http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=4842&NewsAreaID=2 [presscentre.com]

Sony abandoning Linux on new skus means they are effectively doing the same for the old ones.

Epic failure.

Re:No Linux Support? (2, Insightful)

ivan256 (17499) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109525)

Explain.

To me it says "we used slightly different controllers and peripherals, and don't feel like investing the time to port the drivers and such to a new linux kit".

I didn't see the bit where they said they were making it stop working on my existing device.

Re:No Linux Support? (1)

alphan (774661) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109579)

It will continue to work, but now that it's officially a dead product there is little point in investing in it.

Re:No Linux Support? (0)

It was never really a "product" in the first place. Sony didn't offer the Linux distros. Those were made available from other parties.

Re:No Linux Support? (4, Insightful)

Microlith (54737) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109613)

They'll make it stop working on your existing device by simply removing the option to install when the update comes down the pipe. I doubt there's any real technical reason for dropping it, other than some beancounter deciding that the loss of respect from technical users was less costly than the upkeep for the hypervisor (assuming they remove it.)

Assuming they don't, you'll be able to keep what you have on there, but not reinstall or do a new install. Which is a huge amount of ass considering how much work was done by the open source community to port things to the PS3 including kernel patches and various GCC ports and additions for the SPUs. All of that is now wasted, even on older consoles unless you never, ever let them contact PSN.

Re:No Linux Support? (3, Informative)

ivan256 (17499) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109743)

No doubt they *can* make it stop working on my existing PS3 if I choose to install their update. But it doesn't say anywhere that they are planning to remove it. I highly doubt they are, since the cost of maintenance on leaving it there is zero.

Re:No Linux Support? (1, Informative)

To play *NEW GAME* you have to update your firmware... or Game installs new firmware when you load it without you knowing about it

Re:No Linux Support? (1)

ivan256 (17499) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110333)

Um, no. It never updates the firmware without you knowing about it.

Though some new games do require that you update the firmware.

Re:No Linux Support? (1)

BobZee1 (1065450) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109619)

Looks like my son will get the new ps3 and I will get the hand-me-down old one (4 USB ports, yeah) and keep the linux functionality.

Re:No Linux Support? (1, Interesting)

could mean that they dropped the hypervisor

Re:No Linux Support? (1, Funny)

CannonballHead (842625) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109605)

Couldn't you have waited for someone to say "but does it run Linux?" before posting? ;)

Seriously, though, that's rather annoying. I wonder why.

Re:No Linux Support? (1, Troll)

dunezone (899268) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109627)

They lost my purchase.

This morning as I started to see news feeds coming in that the price was being dropped to $300, a reasonable price for somethign that primarily would be used a blu-ray player. I was willing to purchase since there were some other areas I could explore in the system, including installing outside operating systems. The fact that this was something I could do with the system and now the fact that Sony can retroactively remove it, is not worth my time or my money.

The 'old' PS3 is $299, too (2, Informative)

Dr. Manhattan (29720) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109827)

The 'fat' PS3's price is being cut to $299 and it retains the "OtherOS" feature. The press releases says "users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system" [emphasis added]. (It's also not clear yet how hard it'll be to upgrade the HD in the 'slim' model, if it's possible at all.)

I've got Linux on mine, but I haven't had a chance to use it much. The annoying thing is that there's no real equivalent to a bootloader. If you set it to boot Linux, it will always boot to Linux until you boot the PS3 "Game OS", at which point it will always boot Game OS until you explicitly change it again. Makes it annoying to experiment with when the kids use it, too.

Discontinued soon? (1)

tepples (727027) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110095)

But how long will the 'fat' PS3 continued to be manufactured?

Re:The 'old' PS3 is $299, too (2, Interesting)

revengebomber (1080189) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110253)

At least the removal of the easy Linux functionality will spur developers to look for more "complete" paths to develop for PS3 systems.

Re:No Linux Support? (2, Insightful)

Mad Leper (670146) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109899)

The install other OS option was utterly useless, only one cell was supported and you had no access to any of the advanced hardware. No reason for Sony to continue to support a feature that was used by only a very tiny fraction of PS3 owners.

People who pick this above all others as a reason not to buy a PS3 are just being petulant.

Re:No Linux Support? (3, Informative)

Nursie (632944) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110273)

1. There is only one Cell in a PS3
2. You had access to the main cores and all but on of it's vector processing units
3. The GFX chip is what was cut out.

Re:No Linux Support? (5, Insightful)

Turken (139591) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109633)

I would assume that the loss of Linux support is likely due to not bothering to accommodate for the large changes in hardware under the hood. If their research shows that not enough people are using a feature make it worth developing and supporting, why should they waste resources on that feature? Of course, by that logic, then Home should have dies a long time ago too...

At any rate, it shouldn't take too long for unofficial workarounds to show up.

Re:No Linux Support? (1)

lymond01 (314120) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110281)

They would do it for the Slashdot. Wouldn't you?

Re:No Linux Support? (2, Interesting)

hattig (47930) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109643)

The internal design architecture of the new PS3 system, from the main semiconductors and power supply unit to the cooling mechanism, has been completely redesigned, achieving a much slimmer and lighter body. Compared to the very first PS3 model with 60GB HDD, the internal volume as well as its thickness and weight are trimmed down to approximately two-thirds. Furthermore, power consumption is also cut to two-thirds, helping to reduce fan noise.

So: Still has internal PSU (my major worry), but isn't as great a size reducation as say the shrink from the PS2 to the PS2 Slim. Sounds like more chips are 45nm than before. Obviously there was a circuit board redesign. One major fail is not having a USB port on the back for PlayTV.

Even quieter fan noise will be a nice feature for movie watchers, not that it is a major issue now.

And the price is very competitive with the 360. Price drop here coming soon I presume! Otherwise there's even less reason to get a 360 compared to the PS3, especially if you don't have wired ethernet near your media setup.

The new firmware looks like it has some nice features, for people who get excited by such things.

Re:No Linux Support? (1)

rAiNsT0rm (877553) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109723)

Gah! No one else mentioned this yet... major bummer. Now if I could just get real data on the new power draw of the slim.

Re:No Linux Support? (2, Informative)

timster (32400) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109809)

Not really surprising... they used the same pattern with the PS2. Announce during the pre-release hype that there will be Linux, and you get a bunch of pundits and gullible geeks talking about how it's going to be taking over from the Real Computer. The actual possibilities with the Linux kit end up limited and forgotten, little more than a technical curiosity.

When the hardware gets updated later on, the Linux kit doesn't as it was only part of the pre-release marketing process. Expect the same thing with the PS4.

Re:No Linux Support? (5, Funny)

KnownIssues (1612961) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109821)

I never realized how badly I wanted to be able to install another operating system on my PS3 until I found out I wouldn't be able to.

Re:No Linux Support? (0)

They did the same thing when the slim PS2 came out. Buy an older PS3 for the same price as the new one if you want to run Linux.

Re:No Linux Support? (0)

Epic failure.

Hardly. No one uses it, it's crippled. The RSX is locked out and the video is framebuffer only. The sole reason linux ever worked on it is because the cell has its roots in PPC, so any PPC based disto could be installed. Anyone that bothered to install linux on their ps3 soon got pissed off with how rubbish and unusable is was. Only those interested in playing with cells would have got anything from bothering. Linux on the PS3 was unusable as a desktop and the PS3 is not suitable as a server.

So like... (0)

denzacar (181829) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109513)

When is the mod-chip coming out?

preorder (1)

arnott (789715) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109521)

Re:preorder (2, Insightful)

BobZee1 (1065450) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109549)

Hell yes. Time to buy ps3 number two. Call me a fanboi all you want, but I love this console.

Re:preorder (1)

abigor (540274) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109645)

Agreed, best electronics purchase I've made in a long while (got mine back in Dec. 2008).

The price cut is nice, but mine was only $350 CDN back then, so $299 US doesn't seem that much different (around $20 or so).

Break out the 80 grit (0)

kLoNe343 (308775) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109555)

Bring the shiny back :(

Re:Break out the 80 grit (1)

hattig (47930) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109725)

It's ironic that many people were bitching about the shiny black before, because it was a dust magnet.

Or get the current model before it sells out.

Re:Break out the 80 grit (1)

ergo98 (9391) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110091)

>Some things you can't win I guess. Stick it in your media centre and forget about it.

Define "win". You realize that it's very likely different people you hear from each time, right?

Too late... (-1, Troll)

geminidomino (614729) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109587)

Already have an Xbox360 and my TV only has one HDMI port. Sorry, Sony.

150 million Sony PS2s (0)

150 million PS2s have been sold worldwide. 120 million or so are waiting for the PS3 to drop in price down.

No one gives a shit about some fucking retard and his piece of shit RRoDbox. Upgrade to a PS3. Don't upgrade. The gaming world couldn't possibly care less about the tiny Xbox fanboy niche.

Re:Too late... (0)

buy a new tv.

Too Little Too Late? (0, Insightful)

This seems like a case of too little too late for Sony. With video game purchases already down significantly ( http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4794 ) for 2009 and the price point for this new console at $300 it begs the question of why not do this 6 months or a year ago? I can't see this causing a large jump in sales when it is priced $100-$150 more than the 360 and Wii, respectively. It seems like Sony just can't quite get its act together with respect to selling the PS3 to the American/European consumer (although it does well in Japan). This Price should have been the price 2-3 years ago (when the 360 and Wii dropped theirs).

Hilarious! Bitter Xbot Fanboy Tears (-1, Troll)

And LOL!

Way to make a fool of yourself by actually linking to FUCKING vgchartz.com!

10 says Marvel Comics access is region restr. (-1, Troll)

Cause you know those fucktards can't do anything right.

Still overpriced in the UK (1)

iJed (594606) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109661)

According to the BBC [bbc.co.uk] the UK price is amazingly £250 or about US$413. Which is a ripoff. At this price there is no way that I would consider buying one.

Re:Still overpriced in the UK (1)

hattig (47930) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109789)

So it's £217 without VAT (assuming 15% here, and that Sony will swallow the increase back to 17.5% next year) which is $360. That's a $60 markup for the UK, or 20%. That's a bit rude really, but par for the course.

On the other hand, I got my PS3 for £240 over a year ago, so I'm not too bothered.

Meanwhile, in my country... (1, Insightful)

PS3 (40 GB version): $600
PS3 games: $100

Yeah, I'll skip.

Re:Meanwhile, in my country... (0)

Of course, it's inconceivable that a PS3 costs double in some parts of the world compared to the price in the USA. It must be a trolling statement! Go, people with PS3s and mod points, go!

So like (-1, Troll)

Can you explain this? http://www.gamestreamer.com

Whoa! (0, Troll)

gbarules2999 (1440265) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109745)

We all reel in shock and awe. We totally did not see that one coming, did we?

The rpice is still a hundred bucks too high for my taste, but it's a step.

Re:Whoa! (5, Insightful)

Enderandrew (866215) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110239)

* 120 gig HDD.
* Built in wifi-fi.
* Streams all my media content from my computer.
* Top-notch BluRay player.
* Built in web browser
* Oh, and plays games.

I think it is a great value actually, But to each their own.

An even better model (0, Troll)

DoofusOfDeath (636671) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109787)

How about they release "PS3 Reliable edition"?

Of the two PS3 owners that I know (a friend and myself), both have had the Blue-ray drive fail. And mine failed just after I sold the console on Craigslist, making me look like a fraud.

Re:An even better model (0, Flamebait)

greg1104 (461138) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109849)

Well duh, obviously the people looking for consoles with a really reliable drive buy an XBox instead.

Re:An even better model (1)

BobZee1 (1065450) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109881)

That's too bad. I have had a ps3 since 2006 and games are played an average of 30 hours per week with lots movie watching thrown in. It is still running strong and cool.

Re:An even better model (1)

The Living Fractal (162153) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109971)

Though your case study of two units is hardly statistically meaningful, I do share your sentiment. I wonder what the percentage of failure is for these units within one year?

And compare that to the 360.

And compare that to the PC.

I doubt the PS3 is much worse, but it seems like it sometimes.

Re:An even better model (1)

DoofusOfDeath (636671) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110021)

Agreed. I would have preferred to know the failure rate before buying them. Are those data even publicly known?

I would have had to buy the PS3 anyway, since I needed to do some research involving the Cell processor. But I sure regret looking like a jerk to the random Craigslist guy.

Re:An even better model (0)

A reader survey conducted recently suggests that the failure rate for the PS3 is far lower than that of the Xbox 360, though higher than that of the Wii. PC wasn't included.

Source: http://consumerist.com/5338852/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds [consumerist.com]

Re:An even better model (4, Interesting)

Filip22012005 (852281) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110469)

The failure rates were published on joystiq a couple of days ago: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/17/game-informer-xbox-360-at-54-2-percent-failure-rate/ [joystiq.com] .

xbox: 54.2%
ps3 10.3%
wii 6.8%

Too bad Greenpeace didn't consider those when they named Nintendo such a non-green company.

Re:An even better model (5, Insightful)

dc29A (636871) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110141)

How about they release "PS3 Reliable edition"?

The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'.

Glad to hear (1)

MBCook (132727) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109791)

There have been one or two games I'd like to play that are on the PS3 only, but they are some coming that I'd really like to play (God of War 3, possibly FF XIII, I know there are others). I didn't want to spend $400 for a game or two. Having the price down to $300 helps.

Of course I'm not going to jump at it yet. I'll wait for the inevitable God of War III bundle.

Power consumption? (1)

valenti (58141) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109795)

Any news on how much juice the Slim sucks? I heard it would be less.

And I assume that Stanford's Folding client still runs on them?

Re:Power consumption? (0)

1/3 less. Of what? No idea.

Are we still expected to pay $0.30 for Home shoes? (4, Informative)

_xeno_ (155264) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109903)

So, new changes coming to Home. More customization options. More places. Neat, I guess.

Except for the part where they apparently think people are willing to pay $0.29 for a pair of shoes that no one is going to see. Likewise the $5 to buy a new "personal apartment" that basically no one except yourself is ever going to see. (Sure, you can invite friends over to your virtual apartment but, really, how much is it worth to have your virtual self live in the Ghostbusters station?)

Not to mention the charges on logo-ed shirts. I can't remember prices, but I think those were in the $0.50-$1 range. So I'm expected to pay money to be a walking virtual advertisement. Sure...

If the Home avatars had any use outside of Home (like the Miis and the Xbox Live Avatars) I could almost see the more pathetic fanboys paying money to dress them up in a T-shirt with a Ghostbuster logo on it. But $0.50 for a virtual shirt that can only be seen in a single virtual space in which there is essentially nothing to do? Please!

Last time I checked (which was a month ago, so not terribly long ago) PlayStation Home was still just like this Penny Arcade cartoon [penny-arcade.com] . The only difference I found from the beta last year is that the stores now actually sell something rather than being completely empty.

Re:Are we still expected to pay $0.30 for Home sho (1)

Sinbios (852437) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110497)

Don't like it? Don't buy it. What's the problem?

Re:Are we still expected to pay $0.30 for Home sho (0)

You forget that we live in a world where people will pay $1.99 for a ringtone, when the a copy of the whole song would cost $0.99.

Wow (0)

Does Sony not realize we are in a recession? $300 is not low enough to get people to buy it, especially if people already have PS3s. I know I don't have one, I have my PS2, and that's doing just fine thanks.

Lower it to $199 and maybe I'll think about it.

Unfortunately for Sony, their unveiling was spoile (0, Offtopic)

KharmaWidow (1504025) | more than 5 years ago | (#29109945)

And that's why Apple's secrecy is so important.

lol wont be getting this at all (0)

i will not be gettin this as it is over priced

Did somebody say rootkit? (0)

Methinks we needs a taggie.

Sony == rootkit

Don't forget, don't forgive! [buckfush.com]

Xmod Down (-1, Flamebait)

Practical purposes grandstanders, the .show that Fre+eBSD

Firmware 3.0 (5, Interesting)

CopaceticOpus (965603) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110267)

The new firmware is designed to help Sony advertise, and does almost nothing that PS3 owners actually want.

New Features:

• "What's New" screen (ads for Sony products, links to Sony store)
  • Sony store now appears in several menus instead of just one.
  • New animated themes that you can buy.
  • New avatars, some of which are for sale. (Yes, they're really going to charge you to put a little picture of Sonic next to your username.)

Things People Actually Want:

• PS2 Compatibility
  • Better video support, especially MKV files. (Yes, you can convert MKV files to be playable. No, I don't think that's good enough.)
  • Ability to play media files over a Windows/Samba share, rather than having to use media server software.
  • Ability to backup the PS3 over a LAN automatically.
  • Less klunky web browsing
  • 1080i support for more games. (Since some TVs are 1080/480 only, and downgrade 720 down to 480.)

Thanks a bunch, Sony.

Finally! (1)

Capeman (589717) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110279)

I've always told my friends once the PS3 price would be on par with the 360, it would sell more, why would that be? Because the PS3 is a better console hardware-wise and can play Blu-Ray discs. On games, think about it, most third party games are made for both consoles, the differences are mostly Halo and GoW for the 360 and Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Infamous and others for the PS3. So it is a matter of taste. We'll seethis holiday season wich console sells more.

Sony Electronic Reader (2, Interesting)

Orion Blastar (457579) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110287)

I want to be able to do more than read Comic Books with a reader program. I want to be able to read PDF, ODF, RTF, HTML, CHM, and other formats that eBooks come in.

If I buy a PSP or Slim PS3, I want an educational value for it as well as a gaming one. I want more than a Language Tutor program or BrainAge, I want to be able to read eBooks as well.

I am sticking to a PS2 because the PS3 price is too high and they took away backwards compatibility with PS2 games on most PS3 models. I might as well buy a Wii because it runs GameCube games, or an XBox 360 with a hard drive that can run XBox games. Sony really needs to learn a lesson here to run legacy software like the others, or risk losing these console wars.

No more Rootkits either, ok? Sony we are sick of them.

PSP Digital Reader Service (2, Informative)

gEvil (beta) (945888) | more than 5 years ago | (#29110401)

Sure, the PS3 Slim is nice. But what I find interesting is the PSP Digital Reader Service. The (very brief) article mentions that Sony is teasing about extending it beyond comics by the end of the year. Not coincidentally, that's also when they plan to have their eBookstore migrated over to the ePub format. [slashdot.org] Considering the iPhone/iPod Touch are among the most used digital book-reading devices, and the PSP has a screen resolution that's similar, this could be a very wise move. Assuming this actually happens, you'll also have the ability to buy new releases directly from the PSP using WiFi (something that many people are wishing for in a new Sony eBook reader). Interesting times ahead...