2D Boy Posts "Pay-What-You-Want" Final Wrap-up

Soulskill posted more than 4 years ago | from the digital-tip-jars dept.

The Almighty Buck 12

sleeponthemic writes "Developer 2D Boy has posted the final results of their 'pay-what-you-want' experiment, selling their World of Goo game for an unrestricted price. After coming to the attention of Slashdot, a further ~26,000 sales were recorded, bringing the total to 83,147. Note that publicizing crucial mid-sale statistics — such as the revelation that ~17,000 people chose to 'donate' $0.01 — seems to have affected the average donation, which increased from $2.03 to above $3 by the end of the week." They also show some interesting charts which break down the average donation by operating system, saying "We were expecting the average price paid to be highest for Linux users and lowest for Windows users, but the gap was larger than we thought it would be."

Well worth it (1)

Peter Bortas (130) | more than 4 years ago | (#29894497)

Good for them. It's a really well designed and fun game well worth the original price.

China Wholesale Brand Goods Jordan&Nike Shoes (-1, Offtopic)

www.tntshoes.com

1. Made in top materials
2. With advanced technology and exquisite workmanship
3. 100% anthentic and original packaging
4. Hundreds and thousands styles
5. Price with in shipping fee.
6. Shipping time: 5-7 days
7. Also accept drop shipping
8. Shipping delivery :EMS,DHL,TNT ,and so on ,
9. The more you order ,the more cheaper price you will get .

OUR WEBSITE:

YAHOO:shoppertrade@yahoo.com.cn

MSN:shoppertrade@hotmail.com

$250k in sales... (2, Interesting)

funkify (749441) | more than 4 years ago | (#29897435)

$250k in sales? Not a bad haul. I paid $3 for my copy, although I haven't even installed it yet. Just wanted to show support for this payment model.

Re:$250k in sales... (1, Funny)

I paid $15 for the same game on Steam so I guess I supported that distribution and payment model even more.

Downloaded it last week (1)

Absolut187 (816431) | more than 4 years ago | (#29898087)

Still haven't actually launched it yet. Hopefully get around to it weekend-after-next.

As you may have guessed, I'm one of those who donated $0.01, and I simply would not have purchased it if it hadn't been essentially free.

I would have been willing to pay/donate more for it if I could have downloaded it to my Wii, instead of only my PC (in my bedroom). Then the whole family could play. That, I would have been willing to pay $5 or more for.

Still, I'm looking forward to playing it, as I have read some good reviews. And if it turns out to be a good game with solid multiplayer aspects, it is likely that I will pay to download it to the Wii. So, although they only made $0.01 from me so far, if the game is good they may get more.

Re:Downloaded it last week (0)

I didn't pay more than $.01 because it was a video game sale put on by a video game company. It wasn't a donation, it wasn't a charity. "pay what you want" is like going to a store and seeing hundreds of copies of the same thing for sale, but with all different prices. Anyone who picks something besides the cheapest one is a sucker.

Re:Downloaded it last week (2, Funny)

Yeah, down with 2DBoy and their big video game company. I heard from slashdot that they were looking to buy 2K games. Screw them. Take em down.

Summary of the charts please! (1)

Raptor851 (1557585) | more than 4 years ago | (#29900533)

For those of us behind work firewalls that allow slashdot but not gaming websites, could someone post up a summary of the data in the charts?

Re:Summary of the charts please! (0)

Get back to work John.

.01 (2, Interesting)

AP31R0N (723649) | more than 4 years ago | (#29901869)

Has someone posted that paying $0.01 is "legally stealing" the game? Someone made that claim in the last thread about this.

i wish i had bought it during the promotion. Now i won't get it at all. i enjoyed the demo.

i'd like to see a sort of ransom model for stuff like this. Once the game hits sales of X, the game is free or the price is cut.

Or do the opposite! What you'd have to pay for is your order number in pennies. Buy it now or pay more!

Maybe have a donation leaderboard. Geeks love that epeener crap. "OMG, Trollhattan146 out donated me! Take this $10 donation, n00b!"

If you've made the game as an ad for your company you can sell the game with an eye to break even, then make the game free.

The problem (-1, Troll)

See, it's still easier for me to head over to a torrent site, newsgroup, various p2p networks, or an irc server, and download the full thing. Oh, and it doesn't ask me for my info or cost me jack. The drawback, it might take me a whole minute more, maybe 10 if i'm drunk. Bang for buck ppl.

Tetris of the 21st Century (1)

crashnbur (127738) | more than 4 years ago | (#30027936)

I wish I had known about this while the promotion was going on. I downloaded this on a whim after reading a preview, knowing that classic puzzle games like Tetris were always among my favorites, and I knew it would be worth $15.00 (1500 WiiWare points).

I loved it so much that I not only paid an additional $20 (plus tax) to purchase the Windows PC version, just to play it with a mouse (it's more fun on the Wii, but the mouse allows much better control), but I bought two more copies to share with two friends, who loved it just as much. It's a shame I missed this promotion, because I would have told dozens more to pay whatever they thought was fair to get the game for themselves.

Here's my quick review... The gameplay is simple but addictive. It's easy to learn, and the skills are easy to master as you progress through the game. But it's never too easy, and some levels require quite a bit of outside-the-box thinking. And the game is even spiked with the sarcasm of the "sign painter," who leaves vague clues around each level should you need them. (Forget needing them -- each and every sign is a joy to read, and it's worth beating each level just to get to the next bit of witty advice.)

To me, this is the 21st century thinking-man's Tetris. It's a shame that it will never be as popular as Tetris, because it really should be.