×

Announcing: Slashdot Deals - Explore geek apps, games, gadgets and more. (what is this?)

Thank you!

We are sorry to see you leave - Beta is different and we value the time you took to try it out. Before you decide to go, please take a look at some value-adds for Beta and learn more about it. Thank you for reading Slashdot, and for making the site better!

The Nintendo 3DS, Headaches, and Bad Journalism

Soulskill posted more than 3 years ago | from the adjust-the-sensationalism-slider dept.

Nintendo 132

brumgrunt writes "A British paper is claiming that the Nintendo 3DS poses some kind of health risk. The claim sounds interesting, until you see how that conclusion was reached. 'On the 6th of April, the paper conducted a scientific experiment in which a 22-year-old member of the staff had his blood pressure and pulse taken after playing the 3DS in different situations – at rest, while walking, or while taking a ride in a car. The Sun came to the startling conclusion that the man’s pulse and blood pressure were higher while walking than while sitting down, yet concluded, apropos of nothing, “Children should not be left to play on it for hours.” The article neglects to point out that a raised blood pressure and pulse is perfectly normal, and you’re as likely to experience such a physical response while walking and reading a book as you are when playing the 3DS.'" Pocket Gamer posted a humorous follow-up, using the Sun's own methods against it.

Sorry! There are no comments related to the filter you selected.

Omg..... (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758332)

Please stop calling The Sun a newspaper or it's contents journalism.
It's stories (when not just crap about celebs) are written so that the brit sheeples can feel 'informed'.
They believe anything written in there because its the best selling rag and it leaves them a few more brain cells free to update twittle or facebook pages.

Re:Omg..... (4, Insightful)

The Grim Reefer2 (1195989) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758500)

Please stop calling The Sun a newspaper or it's contents journalism.
It's stories (when not just crap about celebs) are written so that the brit sheeples can feel 'informed'.
They believe anything written in there because its the best selling rag and it leaves them a few more brain cells free to update twittle or facebook pages.

To be fare, the summary called it "A British paper" and also referred to it as "the paper". I didn't notice any mention of "newspaper".

Now this line is a little more troubling to me, "On the 6th of April, the paper conducted a scientific experiment"

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758680)

To be fare

Hey that's weird, I was just playing Crazy Taxi last night.

Re:Omg..... (1)

The Grim Reefer2 (1195989) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758712)

To be fare

Hey that's weird, I was just playing Crazy Taxi last night.

Oops. I guess that qualifies me to be a journalist at the Sun. ;-)

Re:Omg..... (2)

click2005 (921437) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758804)

Not really, you're able to think for yourself and use long words.

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35759706)

To be fare

Hey that's weird, I was just playing Crazy Taxi last night.

Oops. I guess that qualifies me to be a journalist at the Sun. ;-)

No, it qualifies you to be a Slashdot editor. Make lots of money without getting basic things right.

Re:Omg..... (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758662)

When shit like this actually makes it to the front page, I feel like there should be a voting option where it can be taken down if 98% of readers feel like it is complete crap.

Re:Omg..... (2, Funny)

DrXym (126579) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758852)

People who say "sheep" / "sheeple" instantly lose whatever point they were trying to make. Think of it like a wooly Godwin's law.

Re:Omg..... (2)

hedwards (940851) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759120)

Not really, however, people who make ad hominem attacks like you do in fact lose instantly.

Additionally, "sheeple" is a perfectly cromulent malamanteau.

Re:Omg..... (1)

N1AK (864906) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759492)

Not really, however, people who make ad hominem attacks like you do in fact lose instantly.

I like how you invoked your own law to instantly dismantle your own point.

His point, although not a truth, was a valid observation that referring to other people as sheep or sheeple will cause many people to downgrade their opinion of you, thus diminishing ability to make your case.

Re:Omg..... (1)

causality (777677) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759804)

Not really, however, people who make ad hominem attacks like you do in fact lose instantly.

I like how you invoked your own law to instantly dismantle your own point.

His point, although not a truth, was a valid observation that referring to other people as sheep or sheeple will cause many people to downgrade their opinion of you, thus diminishing ability to make your case.

Sounds like an efficient filter to me. The people who cannot separate the point being made from their personal tastes, preferences, and feelings about how the point is made weren't likely to contribute anything deep and meaningful anyway. They're too busy getting offended and worrying about things they can't control. The people who deal with the same distaste by providing an example of what they believe to be the better way, those are the ones I'd like to hear from.

Like it or not (and I really, really don't like it) there are a lot of people who don't think for themselves. I personally believe they are capable of thinking for themselves but for various reasons, they don't. They are easy targets for various political and marketing forces that end up shaping society to cater to this mindset, very much against the wishes of the rest of us. That network effect is the only reason anyone is concerned about them, otherwise there'd be no reason to care if they want to be that way. "Sheeple" is as good a word for them as any. It's only insulting if you highly value the ability to think for yourself, and if you do, then it wouldn't apply to you.

Re:Omg..... (1)

hedwards (940851) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761288)

Not really, however, people who make ad hominem attacks like you do in fact lose instantly.

I like how you invoked your own law to instantly dismantle your own point.

Um, no, just no.

From the wikipedia [wikipedia.org]

An ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an attempt to link the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise. The ad hominem is a classic logical fallacy, but it is not always fallacious; in some instances, questions of personal conduct, character, motives, etc., are legitimate and relevant to the issue

In other words, because he made an ad hominem argument, I was perfectly fine calling attention to the fact that those that do so, him being one example, do instantly lose their argument because it is insufficient a nail to hang an argument on.

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762452)

His point, although not a truth, was a valid observation that referring to other people as sheep or sheeple will cause many people to downgrade their opinion of you, thus diminishing ability to make your case.

Can't stress this enough. Referring derogatorily to "Sheeple", "Joe Sixpack", the "Ignorant Masses", or "Red/Blue States" is a clear indication that you're hopelessly biased, and probably arrogantly insecure.

cromulent malamanteau (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35759708)

"Additionally, "sheeple" is a perfectly cromulent malamanteau."

this tickled my brain.

Re:Omg..... (1)

jitterman (987991) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759358)

What was that? I stopped reading when I hit the fourth word. :)

Re:Omg..... (0)

maxwell demon (590494) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759618)

People who say "sheep" / "sheeple" instantly lose whatever point they were trying to make. Think of it like a wooly Godwin's law.

Wool comes from sheep ...

Re:Omg..... (1)

E IS mC(Square) (721736) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760440)

Agree. Sheeple does not mean anything meaningful in any conversation which does not involve apple.

Re:Omg..... (1)

Spatial (1235392) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761666)

Oh, do they? You better concede your own point as well, since apparently it's become recursive.

After all, you've turned an observation of rhetorical sleaze into yet another instrument of rhetorical sleaze. Well done.

Re:Omg..... (1)

tgibbs (83782) | more than 3 years ago | (#35762372)

People who say "sheep" / "sheeple" instantly lose whatever point they were trying to make. Think of it like a wooly Godwin's law.

I don't know if they lose the point, but it is certainly true that no message that I have ever seen that referred to people as "sheep/sheeple" has ever had anything remotely intelligent (or even vaguely interesting) to say. It's so reliable that these days I don't bother to read anything more beyond that.

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35759108)

Saying sheeples instantly gives you the intelligence of a grape.

Also, at least it isn't Fox.

Re:Omg..... (1)

burisch_research (1095299) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759344)

Are you kidding?! Fox ranks far higher than the Sun -- at least its 'journalists' have IQs higher than their shoe sizes. Sun journalists are about as smart as toadstools (or even toad stools!).

Apple much?? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35760426)

>> Please stop calling Apple a technology company or it's contents innovation.
>> It's gadgets (??) are created so that the itard sheeples can feel 'cool'.
>> They believe anything from apple because they are the best selling toys and it leaves them a few more brain cells free to update twittle or facebook pages.

FTFY

Re:Omg..... (1)

ObsessiveMathsFreak (773371) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760462)

Please stop calling The Sun a newspaper or it's contents journalism.

Why? The Sun represents journalism and the media industry in its purest form.

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35761612)

Agreed - I'm visiting slashdot because most of the mainstream media is moronic. Why has this sewage seeped through?

Mind you, slashdot talking about bad journalism... (1)

SmallFurryCreature (593017) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761822)

All we need now is for the Sun to do an article on the bad journalism of Slashdot and we don't have to wait for 2012 for the world to be sucked into a black hole created the LHC.

Journalism, its dead has not been exaggerated.

Re:Omg..... (1)

PopeRatzo (965947) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761980)

Let's see: Who's got more at stake here, the newspaper or Nintendo?

I'm going to need to see more than a summary on Slashdot or a story on "denofgeek.com" before I know who to believe.

I have a 3DS that I couldn't play more than 10 minutes or so before getting a headache. My kid, who's 22 has no problem with it and I figure she's old enough to not have to worry about the 3DS stunting the development of her eyes.

I swapped her the 3DS for her PSP and it's good all around now. I'm an old, old man, so for all I know my headaches had nothing to do with the 3D technology that messes with focal lengths and your brain and all. Maybe that's all good and I'm defective. I got headaches seeing Avatar at the Navy Pier googleplex too, so maybe phony 3D just ain't for me.

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762246)

Please stop confusing it's and its.

Re:Omg..... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762304)

And also please stop calling Fox news, CNN, MSNBC, reuters, and associated press journalism also.

Real journalism has been dead now for a very long time, and The Sun is in the same category as all of the listed above.

Newspaper...The Sun? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758362)

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it.

Re:Newspaper...The Sun? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758622)

Of course..You'd end up with newsprint Page 3 boobs smeared on your cheeks.

It's the Sun (3, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758380)

Nothing to see here, it's just The Sun, another celebrity and scandal obsessed tabloid paper, full of yellow journalism at its worst.

Re:It's the Sun (2)

slim (1652) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759128)

"Just another" tabloid -- except that it's hugely influential as the biggest selling British newspaper, having almost 50% greater circulation than its nearest competitor, The Mail, and more than 4 times the circulation of the bestselling "proper" paper, the Telegraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation [wikipedia.org]

So, as crappy as it is, it's an opinion-former in the UK, which is why the parties Murdoch likes tend to do well in elections...

Re:It's the Sun (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35759718)

The trouble is when you say that, people think "well that describes all papers, doesn't it?"

No, people. The Sun is indescribably bad. You have to see it to understand.

and in other news (3, Funny)

TheRealQuestor (1750940) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758382)

this just in. climbing stairs will raise your heartbeat and bloodpressure. Also just in. Breathing uses up calories.

Re:and in other news (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762120)

No kidding? I'm gonna start breathing faster then! It's the sort of thing I can do at my desk while fraggin' noobs and eating Cheetos. Should keep me fit for the ladies.

Needs a control subject (1)

Drakkenmensch (1255800) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758424)

This study requires a double blind where half the participants are given a 3DS with Street Fighter 4 and the other half a dummy store demo with no battery charge to account for the placebo effect.

Re:Needs a control subject (1)

Ksevio (865461) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759572)

I get the feeling the control group will notice that their units don't work when the experimenters ask them to play while walking.

Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, huh (2)

elrous0 (869638) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758438)

a 22-year-old member of the staff

I recently did a similar study, using my girlfriend as my sample, to prove that 100% of humans have a vagina.

Re:Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758522)

And I used the data from the published results of your study to prove that 100% of humans refuse to suck your dick.

Re:Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, (-1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758706)

You're doing this wrong. You're supposed to say things that aren't true.

Re:Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, (5, Funny)

Abstrackt (609015) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759230)

I recently did a similar study, using my girlfriend as my sample, to prove that 100% of humans have a vagina.

Fascinating. They also appear to be inflatable.

Re:Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, (1)

burisch_research (1095299) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759362)

Therefore either you are non-human, or you have a vagina?

Re:Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, (1)

elrous0 (869638) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760622)

Must be true. My study proved it.

Re:Wow, really springing for a huge sample group, (1)

muckracer (1204794) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759424)

> I recently did a similar study, using my girlfriend as my sample, to
> prove that 100% of humans have a vagina.

Hmm...where do you meet those....humans?

The conclusion was correct (3, Interesting)

SuperKendall (25149) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758462)

Look, of course you are "likely to experience such a physical response while walking and reading a book" - because if you think about it, both ALSO involve looking at 3-D objects, just as with the 3DS!!

So in fact if you are concerned about your child's health, you should in fact make sure that instead of interacting with 3D objects they are safely positioned in front of a flat 2D screen. 3D glasses should be hidden (even the Red-Blue kind) and just to be safe, you should make sire that at least four hours of the day are spent playing 2D platformers.

If you have any reluctance in following this plan, remember - it's for the children.

Bad health (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758470)

Wow. And here I am playing my 3DS.... all the while I'm at risk of a heart attack and didn't know it. I'll stop playing as of today. I'll also stop walking, running or doing anything else to help me loose weig... oh hang on.. accelerates my heart rate? Hey, this thing could be doing me some good...

Re:Bad health (2)

delinear (991444) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758566)

I think their argument is that, compared to taking exercise, it's your resting heart beat that's elevated while playing the game. I still think the article (and the "newspaper") is utter garbage - at the very least they could have tested a larger sample of people and a larger sample of entertainment devices to give this some meaning. But it's the Sun, they don't care about meaning, they just care about fear mongering the latest must have gadget.

Scientific, my arse. (2)

ledow (319597) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758524)

"On the 6th of April, the paper conducted a scientific experiment"

No it didn't. There was nothing scientific and any idiot knows that because it has The Sun written across the top in big letters.

And Nintendo have already complained in the press how much crap all these articles are.

Re:Scientific, my arse. (4, Funny)

Drakkenmensch (1255800) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758700)

There was nothing scientific and any idiot knows that because it has The Sun written across the top in big letters.

If it had been done by the Weekly World News instead of The Sun, the test subject would have been Bat Boy and the conclusion would have been that the 3DS helps Satan in escaping hell to take over South America or somesuch. And it would have been an hilarious read.

Re:Scientific, my arse. (1)

click2005 (921437) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758848)

I've not played it yet. Next time please use Spoiler tags when you're going to ruin the ending.

Heck (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758564)

If I sit in the back of a CAR i get get dizzy and feel like puking.. so I guess we shouldn't allow kids to sit in back at all even if that's the safest place for a child seat

Re:Heck (1)

Belial6 (794905) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760030)

The irony in your statement is that studies that show the back seat is the safest place for children to sit are about as good as this one on the 3DS. They all look at what the results are AFTER a crash instead of looking at what caused the crash. Not one of those studies I have seen test for an INCREASE in accidents due to children sitting in the back seat. Most parents keep an eye on their kids. Particularly infants. If they are not watching them to see why the kid is making a particular noise, they are looking to see why they are being quite.

No-one takes The Sun seriously (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758580)

I only had to finish reading the first sentence of TFS to know that the paper was The Sun. Everyone in Britain with any intelligence knows that everything they write is complete bullshit.

It's news. It doesn't have to be accurate. (1)

GnomieHomie (1931380) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758584)

Let's all jump on the "popular topics" bandwagon.

The Sun Don't Know Shizz.. (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758630)

The Sun newspaper is famed for its bull sh**.. I wouldnt read too much into it.

On the bright side... (1)

haydensdaddy (1719524) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758634)

...it's nice to know that it isn't just the american media that can't find someone of reasonable intelligence to write their articles.

Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good excuse (3, Insightful)

grapeape (137008) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758642)

That entire piece is crap...anything which raises adrenaline will increase heartbeat and blood pressure. Gaming is an activity that some people really get into so of course its going to have that effect. Show me a gamer playing a fps or racing game that doesn't get higher blood pressure and pulse and I'll show you a gamer who's doing it wrong.

That said, sadly this is the first generation I have completely skipped a handheld release with no real intention of getting one at all. While I think the 3d thing is interesting and fairly innovative, I've been spoiled by iOS and Android and just cant see paying $40 for a game again. The counter to that is generally an uneducated response that android and ios games lack the depth of the Sony and Nintendo offerings but they are there if you look for them even in the RPG genre that Nintendo is famous for. I really do think Nintendo is going to be a world of hurt when it comes to handhelds, the price model myth has been disproven, look at World of Goo and Plants vs Zombies and its easy to see high quality games can sell and be very lucrative even at a lower price. Never underestimate the power of discreet gaming, you can carry around a phone or handheld as an adult and get in a few minutes of gaming here and there without so much as a glance, but employers tend to frown on adults bringing their DS or PSP to work with them.

Re:Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good exc (1)

hedwards (940851) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759174)

Not really, I use my GBA to relax, basically I focus on playing the game without elevating my pulse, blood pressure or getting stressed. When I'm really playing well, there is not impact whatsoever on any of those things.

Re:Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good exc (2)

twidarkling (1537077) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759528)

If you call Plants vs. Zombies "High Quality," there's no arguing with you. It's fun, but it's a game that would take about a day to program, and then art asset creation takes however long you feel like. It's made by Pop Cap. They thrive on cheap impulse buy games that cost nearly nothing to produce. Plants vs. Zombies is completely undeep, and is basically glorified rock-paper-scissors. World of Goo is a better example, but still is an entire game built around applying the same mechanic in slightly different ways, or padded ways. If you want your argument completely blown out of the water, there's Pilotwings Resort. It's a glorified tech demo, and still has more *actual* depth than 99% of what you'll see on iOS and Android. Multiple vehicles that all act and control completely differently, each with a different set of missions, multiple ranks of missions, and a free-flight mode with hundreds of collectables. It's a game that's easy for anyone to pick up and do decently on, but still with enough depth and precision that you can feel like you're improving if you practice. Am I denying that it's possible to have deep games at cheap price points? No. But games for iOS and Android are pretty much designed around only having those few minutes to play, so they rarely get deep. PSP/3DS games are designed around having a larger chunk of time, not to mention having dedicated controls, so it's possible to do more complex things more easily. The price point is also hampered by the need for physical media since the games are so much larger.

Re:Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good exc (1)

maxwell demon (590494) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759692)

Indeed, sports tends to increase your blood pressure quite a bit. Sports is dangerous for your kids! :-)

Re:Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good exc (1)

Belial6 (794905) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760330)

Your chances of dieing if you play high school football are noticeably higher than your chances of dieing from not getting the chickenpox vaccine. Of course, that might be more of a commentary on the the vaccine than football, so, nevermind.

Re:Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good exc (1)

Belial6 (794905) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760282)

Saying "The counter to that is generally an uneducated response" before saying something that is obviously and completely wrong doesn't make you right. There is no reason that in depth games cannot be made for phones, but by and large, the games on dedicated hand helds are far more in depth. There is no reason grander games could not be made for the phones. The market just isn't there at this time though. I blame the controls. The touch screen is fine for certain games, but for most it just sucks. Maybe Sony will change the trend with their new experia, but until proper controllers are available for the phone, it will always be what you use when you don't have access to a good gaming system.

Re:Sensationalism but it gives nintendo a good exc (1)

FrostDust (1009075) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761268)

That said, sadly this is the first generation I have completely skipped a handheld release with no real intention of getting one at all.

If you're saying these iOS and Android devices have high-quality, high-selling games, then I don't see how you can say they aren't handheld gaming devices, at least by your usage.

The counter to that is generally an uneducated response that android and ios games lack the depth of the Sony and Nintendo offerings but they are there if you look for them even in the RPG genre that Nintendo is famous for.

Well, I have an unused iPod Touch that I could use some recommendations for. Since you specifically mention RPGs, is there anything similar to Golden Sun or Dissidia that I'd be interested in? I'm not a platform "fanboy" by any means; if it's a good game, I'll play it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised with people saying mobile games lack depth if you give PvZ or WoG as an example of what the platform has to offer (which both are, by the way, also available for consoles and PC).

Sun Headline today: "Is Britney really a man?" (3, Informative)

Fibe-Piper (1879824) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758656)

See my post's title.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ [thesun.co.uk]

Newspaper! Riiiiiiight

Re:Sun Headline today: "Is Britney really a man?" (1)

snookiex (1814614) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761356)

Apparently they had conducted further experiments [thesun.co.uk] related to this 32D thing.

Related: (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758676)

This video [youtube.com] is very relevant now. What I can't get is why newspapers feel the need to blatantly mislead their readers like this.

It's The Sun (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758694)

'nuff said.

The Sun? Journalism? (1)

MadKeithV (102058) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758714)

Reading the Sun also raises the heartrate and blood pressure of anyone with half a brain.

It must be true then, (1)

vorlich (972710) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758722)

it's in The Sun. I remember when it used to funny but since it transformed itself into the world's leading scientific journal, Mystic Meg went off to work at the LHC and Zoe McConnell went from in front of the lens to behind the lens - its just never been quite the same.

anti-piracy (1)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758730)

The Nintendo 3DS is well protected against piracy. The 3D effect doesn't work if you wear an eyepatch.

Re:anti-piracy (1)

Dakman (824764) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758866)

For the love of all that is holy, somebody mod this guy up.

"Newspaper"? (1)

spamuell (1208984) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758748)

This is The Sun of:

UFO Hits Wind Turbine [transitionculture.org]

Haunted Hospital Calls in Exorcist [thesun.co.uk]

and famously of course from the 1980s:

Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster [wordpress.com] Puh-lease!

Re:"Newspaper"? (1)

EasyTarget (43516) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759252)

The scary thing is that the last one is real!

Too late (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758856)

People who buy the sun aren't interested in following an issue - they want something shocking to tut and shake their heads at before repeating the process again the next day with some other startling inaccuracy or misrepresentation.

That follow-up might as well be printed out and stuck to the back of a public lavatory door in Armenia - it would be seen by about as many sun readers in such a case.

Scientific experiment? (1)

Yvan256 (722131) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758886)

Did The Onion buy out The Sun on april 1st?

Re:Scientific experiment? (2)

chriseyre2000 (603088) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759020)

Would anyone notice the difference?

Re:Scientific experiment? (1)

hedwards (940851) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759202)

Yes, the Onion has fewer boobs per page.

Re:Scientific experiment? (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35761794)

And is less devastating to society. The Sun has a major impact, much like Fox News in the US. A complete parade of lies designed to create feelings of victimisation and oppression in the majority so that they can be manipulated. The more the middle class hate one another and the poor, the less they hate the rich who are raping them daily.

Although Fox still wins the award for sheer ridiculousness: complaints of liberal bias in the mainstream media, despite BEING the mainstream media - it's the most popular. Also hilarious because there is no 'liberal' in US politics. The political spectrum is right-leaning centrist to fascist.

3Damage (1)

Forget4it (530598) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758942)

IRC the problem for any 3D screen-based system is the fact that
your eyes need to both

1) focus on the screen while simultaneously

2) converging (right and left eyes pointing) to a locus behind (or of the screen).

This is an unnatural thing to do - a bit like crossing your eyes without noticing.
If you do it for a long time it has a lasting aftereffect where you can't see real world distances properly for some hours afterwards.

If your eyes are still learning to make sense of the world (like children's) they can be fooled in learning wrong things about the world - such as it is normal to focus at one depth and converge at another - thus doing permanent damage

As first commented by me here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jan/20/nintendo-3ds-could-harm-child-eyes-claim?commentpage=1#comment-9235640 [guardian.co.uk]

DUH. Ragland's Test (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35758946)

Your blood pressure IS supposed to be higher standing than sitting.

It's basic physiology.

Laying down BP sitting BP standing BP moving around BP

There's a test called Ragland's test that measures how well your Adrenal Glands are working. The test is performed with you laying down, sitting, standing. If your blood pressure is HIGHER laying down than standing, then you test POSITIVE for this test and more tests are needed to see if your Adrenal Glands are in dysfunction..

Not for me (1)

Stumbles (602007) | more than 3 years ago | (#35758984)

I had the opportunity to try one out a couple of weeks ago at a local Game Stop. After about 30 seconds I had to put it down; it made my eyes hurt and kicked off a headache. I will not let my daughter have one.

Pulse rate increases during activity (1)

pclminion (145572) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759050)

A person's pulse rate and blood pressure increase when active. Man, I can wait to see what these guys decide to study next. Maybe they'll answer that big open question that's been bugging humanity for centuries -- just what temperature DOES water boil at?

/. Gives Me Headaches (1)

Kamiza Ikioi (893310) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759130)

For the record, I was reading /. on a bumpy country road, and I was the driver. I hit my head on the steering wheel, the roof, and the side window. I personally blame /. for the addiction to read it while driving and for the excessive use of bright white backgounds. I'll be contacting my lawyer just as soon as I post this through my mobile and merge onto the freeway.

Health concerns? No, but stability... (1)

Guspaz (556486) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759224)

The health concerns might all be bunk, but the stability concerns aren't. The 3DS is notoriously unstable, with widespread reports of frequent crashing. I have personally had my 3DS crash four times while playing a game.

Re:Health concerns? No, but stability... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762508)

if the game you're crashing on is ghost recon, try turning off wifi during the game. that should solve it.

In further news of the obvious... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35759232)

Playing "Wii Fit" will also increase your heart rate while you are running... Which apparently would mean that nobody ought to be allowed to play Wii Fit, right?

3D would suit The Sun (1)

Geeky (90998) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759396)

I'd have thought The Sun would be all in favour of 3D. It would improve page 3...

Breaking news! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35759472)

This just in from The Sun's crack science team! Deceased man's blood pressure found to be unhealthily low! More research needed, no conclusion available.

It's been proven (1)

sjonke (457707) | more than 3 years ago | (#35759608)

Not only are there no health risks, but the 3DS cameras enhance erectile function!

It's the Sun for pete's sake... (1)

mr_lizard13 (882373) | more than 3 years ago | (#35760570)

...a red-top tabloid which publishes crap like this every day. It's readership are one step up from an amoeba. There's not much more to expect than this.

Sun == Full of shit (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35760952)

The Sun is a worthless rag that prints bullshit and lies and anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together wouldn't even use it to wipe their own arse. It also features some tits on page 3, celebrity gossip and the rear half is devoted to sport. It's pretty much equivalent to the US's National Enquirer in terms of content and reading age, except from the fact that over here in the USSK for some unfathomable reason it's the best selling mainstream newspaper. If you ever find yourself in the unfortunate position of reading a copy, you can actually feel your brain cells undergoing autolysis.

It's also published by Rupert Murdoch. That alone says all you need to know.

Fortunately, here in the UK we have a "code" for newspapers. If the paper's title is in white text on a red background (a.k.a "Red Top") those in the know automatically know it's going to be full of shit.

Top trivia: To this day, Scousers refuse to read the Sun because of a single story it published 22 years ago about the Hillsborough disaster. This refusal to read The Sun is single-handedly responsible for Liverpool dragging itself out of the gutter it found itself in in the 80s and becoming a great city of well-educated people.

My 3DS *HELPS* my vision! (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35761198)

I have faulty depth perception. The best way I can explain it is that the "overlap" of vision between my two eyes that is usually used to generate depth perception doesn't work for me. Instead, my brain just discards one eye's worth of overlap. I *CAN* spend time and effort to "re-pair" my eyes, and make my depth perception work, but it takes effort, and generates a slight headache in the process. (I have to focus my eyes on something very close to me, "working" to merge the two eyes' views.) When I go through the effort of "re-pair"ing, it lasts about half an hour before is starts fading, and I need to "re-pair" again. Usually not worth the effort. I have learned to judge distances through other means.

What that means is that most 3D things don't work on me. The old red/blue glasses? I see one color only, or I see 'flickering' between the two colors as my brain switches dominant eyes. But no 3D effect. None of the "cross your eyes" things works. Nope, can't see the "static stereograms" (Also called "Magic Eye" pictures) at all. 3D LCD shutter flicker-glasses work a little, but not reliably. Circular polarized 3D work the best, for some unknown reason, but not perfectly. I didn't have much hope for the 3DS.

Well, a few days ago I went to the store and played with one. The 3DS works incredibly well for me. I don't know why, but it does. Of course, I bought one on the spot.

Even more amazing, after about 15-20 minutes of play (the bus ride home after work,) my depth perception was working! No headache inducing "re-pair" procedure needed. Just like my manual "re-pair" procedure, it lasts 20-30 minutes before starting to fade, but my head doesn't hurt. This is absolutely incredible. I may not be able to let my daughter play due to health concerns, but it REALLY helps me.

3D slider? (1)

Ambvai (1106941) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761566)

Doesn't the 3DS basically have a "depth" slider which, at the lowest setting, entirely turns off the 3D effect and can also give increased battery life/refresh rate? Everybody concerned could just turn it off.

Conduct the same test with page 3 (1)

MickyTheIdiot (1032226) | more than 3 years ago | (#35761724)

...or pictures of Samantha Fox in her prime.

Same results. BAN PAGE 3! You could have a heart attack.

Idiocy in its purest form.

Just another deadly Danger (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762282)

I have found that parents are systematically subjecting their kids to danger. This is just one more thing in the long list of danger that kids are being unecessarily exposed to. I have said it before, and I will say it again, if you can not provide a safe and nuturing environment for kids, you should not be having kids.

I just looked it up on Wolfram Alpha, and found that there is no group of kids from any country in the world anywhere, where kids can reasonably be expected to be around past the year 2250. That is right the mortality rate is 100% by that time. That means that EVERY single kid born today will DIE. Parents should forgo procreating untill they can raise their offspring in an environment free from danger. If they can't do this they are clearly acting irresponsibly.

-Unless you have a body like Justin Bieber, you are a faggoty ass bitch!
-Wolf Blitzer talking about the changing gender roles in the world today.

Its the Sun, a Murdoch paper....... (0)

Anonymous Coward | more than 3 years ago | (#35762298)

And you expect truthful journalism?

*shiver*

Look at the latest escapade of its Sunday bedmate, the "News of the World" [bbc.co.uk]

Skyward Sword? (1)

TheEnigmaticToad (2011680) | more than 3 years ago | (#35762312)

Hmph..maybe this will make them release Skyward Sword faster...
Load More Comments
Slashdot Login

Need an Account?

Forgot your password?