Slashdot: News for Nerds

48 Games Entered Into the Liberated Pixel Cup

Unknown Lamer posted about 2 years ago | from the who-needs-steam dept.

Graphics 49

The Liberated Pixel Cup draws to a close. The deadline for code entries was July 31st, and those entries were posted online Thursday (with descriptions). You'll have to wait longer than expected for the results though: "Note that due to the larget volume of entries (48 code entries alone, plus a large number of art entries), judging may take longer than we had originally thought. Our current time frame for judging is the end of August. We'll keep people posted on our progress." Good luck to all the entrants. Anyone see anything interesting in the submitted games?

Great story! (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874083)

I was absolutely blown away by this and I can't wait to hear about the results after they get through the larget volume of entries. The fact that it was a nice even number (48 = 3 * 2^4) is awesome. The deadline was 7/31 and they had the list up yesterday! Great job guys! This made my day and I can't wait to hear about the next stage in this process.

Re:Great story! (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874203)

We did have an additional 24 hour extended deadline. The contest actually ended in August 1st. :-)

screenshots would help (3, Insightful)

Bram Stolk (24781) | about 2 years ago | (#40874111)

Ugh... would some screenshots be too much to ask?
In this day and age I expect a nice gallery.
Just like the people behind '#screenshotsaturday' publish every week:
http://screenshotsaturday.com/week91.html [screenshotsaturday.com]

Re:screenshots would help (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874149)

Some entries have provided screenshots:

Re:screenshots would help (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874159)

Ugh... would some names to go with those screenshots be too much to ask? ;)

Re:screenshots would help (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874217)

Ugh... would some screenshots be too much to ask? In this day and age I expect a nice gallery. Just like the people behind '#screenshotsaturday' publish every week: http://screenshotsaturday.com/week91.html [screenshotsaturday.com] It is so much easier to pick something interesting from the submissions this way.

well you see the games suck compared to commercial games. if they gave lots of screenshots you'd realize that quick and there wouldn't be nearly so much discussion. already not much discussion on this topic if ya haven't noticed. there'd be even less if people really knew what these freetard games are like.

Re:screenshots would help (0)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874233)

Thank you for the criticiscm, Mr Coward. I'd love to see just what kind of games you'd be able to do in a month! :-)

Re:screenshots would help (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874269)

i know a game i made by myself with no real funding in one month would be a shitty game. so i don't make it. because it would be shitty. see that's called good judgment.

what's these guys' excuse?

Re:screenshots would help (0)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874289)

I can't speak for the rest, but I made a game because I wanted to see just what I was capable of doing in one month, during my spare time.

As a result, I now know how to work with libgdx, spritesheets, tmx maps and other useful skills that would help in the future.

I appreciate contests like these and am looking forward to participating on a similar one, definitely scaling down my project's scope to something a bit more realistic.

Re:screenshots would help (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874477)

you're starting to remind me of Ned Flanders.

have a beautiful god-given evening.

Re:screenshots would help (1)

EdIII (1114411) | about 2 years ago | (#40874953)

you're starting to remind me of Ned Flanders.

have a beautiful god-given evening.

You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history. -- Adrian Cronauer, Good Morning Vietnam

Re:screenshots would help (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874303)

Sure, it is difficult to make a fun game in a month, but not impossible, and some of the games I tried were genuinely fun and looked good. Have you even tried any of the games?

Re:screenshots would help (2)

flimflammer (956759) | about 2 years ago | (#40875169)

That's a pretty crappy attitude. It's a fun challenge to see what could be done in the time given, not a call to make profitable games in a month. You clearly have no desire to participate in challenges, and that's fine, but a lot of people do.

Re:screenshots would help (1)

mutube (981006) | about 2 years ago | (#40877051)

A month? The Ludum Dare [ludumdare.com] does them in 48 hours.

Re:screenshots would help (1)

julesh (229690) | about 2 years ago | (#40884869)

And most of the entrants are professional or at least experienced game developers, and the rules do not exclude non open-source platforms, which opens up the use of many tools that make writing the entries much easier.

Plus the entries to LPC have been much more complex than most LD entries. I know, for instance, that there have been MMORPGs entered into LD before (e.g. http://0fps.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/making-an-mmo-in-48-hours/ [wordpress.com] ) but they tend to be extremely simplistic. LPC had 3 entered, by my reading of the list, and they seem to be much more complete than the one I linked there. As in, they have actual things to do.

LD games tend to be exteremely basic. The last one was one by this [glaielgames.com] . And sure, it's a fun little and kind-of cool game that I enjoyed playing for 5 minutes. But it only takes 5 minutes to play to conclusion. Many of the LPC games have much, much more content. They are all much more graphically appealing. Many of them are as fun.

Re:screenshots would help (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874283)

Given the duration of the competition and the number of one-man teams, I think some of the games are fairly decent. And some of them do give screenshots, such as this one: http://opengameart.org/content/artificiers-quest-the-staff-of-ivalder. And what about games such as Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based game with good graphics and an active modding community?

Re:screenshots would help (0)

talas (2025508) | about 2 years ago | (#40874371)

Obey.
Consume.
Don't fight the power.

Re:screenshots would help (1)

madmarcel (610409) | about 2 years ago | (#40876057)

Come on now, first time they ran the competition. Can't expect everything to be perfect. Besides, judges haven't looked at entries yet.

I do wonder if they will restrict the contest to a specific language if they ever run it again (like say HTML5)...there are a (large) number of entries that do not work.
Looks like the judges are going to have a fair job on their hands trying to get all those games to compile and run...

As a die-hard linux user I hate to say this...but if this contest had been Winblows based, I doubt there would've been as many 'broken' entries :(
[Time to duck and run for cover]

Re:screenshots would help (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40876335)

I passed on the idea of forcing 3-5 screenshots with the submission. He said they'll definitely be doing it next time ;)

Re:screenshots would help (1)

madmarcel (610409) | about 2 years ago | (#40876391)

Yeah...but but...mine would all look exactly the same ;-P

Re:screenshots would help (1)

gl4ss (559668) | about 2 years ago | (#40876879)

..and why not have playable links to the html5/js entries instead of .tar.gz's and zips?

Re:screenshots would help (1)

julesh (229690) | about 2 years ago | (#40885147)

Some of them do, but not all. Speaking for my own entry, which is an HTML5 one, it relies on server-side support, so you'll need the archive.

Re:screenshots would help (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40888243)

They have recently added a thread regarding just that:

Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (3, Interesting)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874195)

I also participated in the contest. I made an action-rpg with the above title, and would certainly appreciate some feedback. I know that the game is both short and the ending just cuts off suddenly, I worked until the last few minutes of the deadline.

You can download the game from http://k3rnel.net/Unsealed.jar [k3rnel.net] or try to build from source from http://github.com/Nushio/Unsealed [github.com]

A shoutout to Mozilla, FSF, OpenGameArt and CreativeCommons for creating this contest! :-)

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874235)

..both short and the ending just cuts off suddenly

Lucky for you, the judging panel is unlikely to contain any women.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874565)

I opened up that link in IE and downloaded the file and double clicked on it from Explorer. It didn't install but it gave me a window asking which program to use to open this file. I'm not sure where to go from here. Usually I can just click next, next, next, and then the icon shows up in my Start menu.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874587)

This is a java game. All you need is Java to run it. Perhaps rightclicking->Open with Java might help :-)

Forgot to ensure presence of Java (0)

tepples (727027) | about 2 years ago | (#40874879)

I think Anonymous Coward's point is that you should have provided a proper Windows package (.msi) that first ensures that Java is installed on the machine.

Re:Forgot to ensure presence of Java (2)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874885)

On a Linux competition? Let'em suffer. I should have provided a deb and/or rpm instead. As-is, I "finished" this game 15 minutes before the deadline, there was no time to do an rpm/deb package.

Re:Forgot to ensure presence of Java (1)

julesh (229690) | about 2 years ago | (#40885155)

Besides, the judges didn't state what flavour of Linux they run. I just provided basic instructions on what dependencies were needed, and a suggestion that loading my eclipse project files was probably the easiest way to get everything working. :)

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

oakgrove (845019) | about 2 years ago | (#40874577)

Dangit! I was all comfy on the couch reading this on my Xoom when you made me have to get up and fire up the laptop to test out your game. :). Awesome job, dude.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874591)

Just FYI, I have an Android build available, however the DPad I implemented is quite unenjoyable, which is why I'm not distributing the Android version just yet. You can look forward to it in the Android Market in a week or two at the low low cost of Gratis.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

oakgrove (845019) | about 2 years ago | (#40874607)

Great. I'll be looking out for it!

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874739)

Just killed my WHQL certified ATI drivers on my dual 5970 workstation. Glad I'm running Windows 7 and didn't lose all 50 of my stupid browser tabs when video restarted.

I ran Unsealed.jar from my desktop, but it did not create a log file of any sort so I have nothing to offer you for bug tracking.

FWIW this happened when I clicked "New girl in town" chapter. /sigh

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874831)

Ouch, I'm terribly sorry for that! I wish I had a stacktrace or something. Sometimes Java creates an hs_*.log file when the crash is super big (Which from the sound of it, it was).

I'm not sure if libgdx works on dual head workstations. All testing was done on a Fedora 17 Dell laptop and a Fedora 17 HP laptop. I'm looking forward to making it work everywhere.

As a suggestion, don't run it in full screen mode, as the text will be unreadable.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40874751)

I tried it. The story part seems well done, but the battle part takes some getting used to. At least that's what I found, partly because the screen with the key bindings went by really quickly, but also because I wasn't sure what each character did or what spells/attacks were available. I guess what I'm saying is the game is good, but when time allows a short manual would be handy.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40874815)

Thanks! I'm still going to continue development. I'm trying to set up a small site dedicated to the game.

I know the screen goes by too quickly. I should've made it last longer, but I did write a tutorial on Chapter 1...

As for the spells, I agree, they should've been more descriptive, but I hardly had time to do everything. Despite the fact that my entry was marked as a "Team", I was the sole developer, the rest of my team were artists. :-P

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (2)

hedpe2003 (1735078) | about 2 years ago | (#40875929)

I enjoyed it, thank you! The battles definitely take a little getting used to, but were both fun and challenging.

I have a few suggestions, some simple, some more complex I'm sure. Not all needed - just some thoughts:

• *The game is played using the keyboard only, so I would have liked to be able to control the main menu with the keyboard as well (instead of the mouse). And in particular, restarting the battle when I die. Maybe it's available, I just wasn't sure the key to press.
  • *Overlaying the keys on top of the onscreen elements would have really rocked. :)
  • *In the the Story Mode, it looks like the spells switch spots in between levels/when I get a new spell. That was a little confusing at first.
  • *If I don't have enough magic to use a spell, maybe a sound or a small message for when I try - that would have rocked. Probably a message, a sound might get annoying when I'm smashing it over and over lol.
  • *I couldn't find a pause. And when I hit escape to see if there was a hidden menu, I lost my progress.
  • *On my crappy laptop, there was a bit of a delay when I come across a battle (which is fine), but some signal that it was switching over to a battle would have been nice. Maybe a character popping up, or maybe a message. That way I knew what was happening when it stopped.

Just some small improvements I think would round out a short but enjoyable game nicely!

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

hedpe2003 (1735078) | about 2 years ago | (#40875937)

Just to clarify... if there is a pause, maybe it could be shown on the screen how to pause (sorry if I missed it). And a warning before leaving the game using escape. Thanks again!

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40876187)

Dude, your suggestions totally rock! I knew I should have placed the keys ontop / below the buttons to make it easier, and I knew I (probably) shouldn't have given players a spell in one position, and switched it around on the next battle, what I didn't think of was adding a small buzz noise if you didn't have the mana to cast a spell.

As for the pause screen? It was requested, I didn't have time to do it for the contest. Esc was unclearly mapped to go back to the main menu. I apologize, fixes coming soon!

Controlling the main window with the keyboard is also coming soon.

Finally, the delays happen because I really rushed the code. I can (and will!) optimize it a lot more to make battles load instantly.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks for playing! :-)

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Boltronics (180064) | about 2 years ago | (#40876065)

I've tried about 5 games, and Unsealed looks the nicest so far (and the easiest to get working of the non-HTML5 entries). However, when I was able to start interacting with the game in Chapter1_3, I got:

Exception in thread "LWJGL Application" com.badlogic.gdx.utils.GdxRuntimeException: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:139)
Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
        at com.badlogic.gdx.utils.Array.get(Array.java:125)
        at com.badlogic.gdx.scenes.scene2d.Actor.act(Actor.java:70)
        at net.k3rnel.unsealed.battle.BattleEntity.act(BattleEntity.java:94)
        at net.k3rnel.unsealed.battle.BattleEnemy.act(BattleEnemy.java:42)
        at net.k3rnel.unsealed.battle.enemies.Dummy.act(Dummy.java:82)
        at net.k3rnel.unsealed.battle.BattleGrid.act(BattleGrid.java:167)
        at net.k3rnel.unsealed.screens.BattleScreen.render(BattleScreen.java:371)
        at com.badlogic.gdx.Game.render(Game.java:46)
        at net.k3rnel.unsealed.Unsealed.render(Unsealed.java:131)
        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.mainLoop(LwjglApplication.java:214)
        at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication$1.run(LwjglApplication.java:136)

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40876125)

Needless to say, that shouldn't happen! The Dummies shouldn't even try and act, I'm not sure why it crashed in the first place.

Thanks for your comments. I'll be updating the game in the coming weeks (and months!). You can keep up with the game's progress at http://unsealed.k3rnel.net/ [k3rnel.net]
(I'm currently *creating* the website, so things may be broken between now and Monday :) )

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40876707)

Hey Nushio,

Great that you participated in the competition!

If I download and java -jar it, I get the following exception, which looks like a 32/64 bit problem, or maybe a JVM problem?

wva@yuppy:~/Downloads$ java -jar Unsealed.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Can't load library: /tmp/libgdxwva/2939929906/liblwjgl.so
                at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1824)
                at com.badlogic.gdx.backends.lwjgl.LwjglApplication.(LwjglApplication.java:62)
                at net.k3rnel.unsealed.DesktopLauncher.main(DesktopLauncher.java:42)
wva@yuppy:~/Downloads$ ls /tmp/libgdxwva/2939929906/lib
libgdx64.so liblwjgl64.so libopenal64.so

wva@yuppy:~/Downloads$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_03"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.1.1pre) (7~u3-2.1.1~pre1-1ubuntu3)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.0-b10, mixed mode)

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40878769)

Feel free to throw me an email to unsealed -at- k3rnel.net, i'd be glad to help you figure out what's wrong.

64bit linux libraries are included in the file, in fact, I tested everything on the OJDK 1.7 in Fedora 17. Is there some sort of a SeLinux for Ubuntu that might be preventing it from running? This is the first Ubuntu box that reports any problems with the game :-/

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40878611)

For a game about freedom, it's awfully linear.

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (1)

Nushio (951488) | about 2 years ago | (#40878747)

Will be fixed in v2.0 :P

Re:Unsealed: Whispers of Wisdom (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#40884617)

Hey, I just played Unsealed -- it's awesome!

I really enjoyed it. Interesting combat system, great story and dialogue, and cool music. OK, off to play the next chapter :-)

Cheers!

Ye Olde Village Shoppe (1)

madmarcel (610409) | about 2 years ago | (#40875967)

Yup, my entry is in there. There's no gameplay, but it's something to look at :D

Try it here:
http://madmarcel.github.com/ [github.com]

I've just done some more work on my little non-game, will add a link to that page with an updated version if I can.
(Have to keep it separate from the LPC entry ;)

Dungeon Tactics (1)

xhrit (915936) | about 2 years ago | (#40879261)

My entry is a psudo3d mass combat roguelike. There is no story, instead I focused on gameplay. The game uses a custom Flash-like engine I wrote a while back. All game logic is in Lua, and the engine is C++. The engine can be a bit complex to build due to the high number of dependencies, but the precompiled windows version works in wine if you have winetricks.

You can get the source and installer here :

http://dungeon-tactics.com/ [dungeon-tactics.com]
Slashdot Account

Don't worry, we never post anything without your permission.

Create a Slashdot Account