Hit Game Makes £52 In First Week On Windows RT

Soulskill posted about 2 years ago | from the congratulations-on-all-your-success dept.

Microsoft 308

Barence writes "Great Big War Game, a popular iOS and Android app, made only £52 in its first week on Windows RT. In an angry blog post titled 'Windows RT — Born to fail,' UK-based developer Rubicon blamed Microsoft for the paltry sum and said it won't be bringing any more of its titles to the fledgling platform. It seems Microsoft refused to promote the app as it would only run on Windows RT devices. However, Microsoft quickly got in touch with Rubicon, and the post was deleted and replaced with an apologetic response saying, 'Microsoft have graciously decided work with us to iron out the problems and get us past this incident.' Rubicon will be hoping that £52 figure improves quickly, as it spent £10,000 porting the game to Windows RT."

Sorry to be frank but what did he think (5, Interesting)

PopAndGame (2790489) | about 2 years ago | (#42216961)

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (4, Insightful)

SydShamino (547793) | about 2 years ago | (#42217011)

Sometimes you want to dive in, be first, and maybe get a huge portion of the market's mindshare.

Fortunately for the rest of us, we can now review his experiences when doing our research. So the rest of us can be more cautious. Likely, though, the rest of us won't get Microsoft's dedicated attention to our game as he is getting now.

ATTENTION!!! (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217481)

I hate to be so frank myself, but I call your attention to the replacement version of Windows!

Windows RG Edition [umd.edu]

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (-1)

Raven42rac (448205) | about 2 years ago | (#42217031)

Making sensationalist so so brave statement bashing Microsoft will probably bring this person in more money. Maybe no one wanted to buy it based on its own merits? Why blame the platform? So weird.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217067)

I doubt it. Windows users are used to having quality games, not the garbage that gets shoved out on iOS.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1, Insightful)

Githaron (2462596) | about 2 years ago | (#42217475)

You are forgetting that a significant number of Windows users have already been using either have a Android or iPhone/iPad. Someone has to be buying those games.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217537)

Those are the non-gamers AKA "casual gamers". They don't count since they likely don't have the setups to be able to play PC games even if they wanted to.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (5, Insightful)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217725)

I have some bad news for you kiddo, you might want to sit down for this, the casual gamers are now a market bigger than what you think of as gamers. They are todays gamers, welcome to 2012.

Also most PC games these days play fine on a middle of the road PC with a $100 video card. Even most of the fairly hardcore shooter games.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1)

phorm (591458) | about 2 years ago | (#42217589)

not the garbage that gets shoved out on iOS

There are plenty of crappy games on windows, but many tend to have a bigger advertising budget. Sometimes this allows them to make a bunch of sales before people catch on and they end up in the bargain bin.

Tablets/phones do allow for more low-budget games, and the "market" or "store" apps tend to allow for more visibility of the games-list in general. However, I've played GLWB (predecessor to GBWG) and it's very enjoyable, and the series can hardly be qualified as garbage.

That said... I hardly know *anyone* who has a modern windows mobile device. Those I do know are mainly office types and not gamers. Perhaps the market will expand, but at the moment it seems that MS is a bit late to the show. They need apps to attract buyers/users, but producers need a solid base of user in order to make money off their apps.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217673)

not the garbage that gets shoved out on iOS.

and ripped off by Android. You were so keen to post you forgot to finish the sentence. I Don't mind helping out. No, really, I don't.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1)

Wheely (2500) | about 2 years ago | (#42217745)

Actually its quite a good game.

I bought it off an Android promotion and liked it enough to buy it for my iPad as well. It was good enough to encourage me to buy a few more maps off of them and also the earlier version of the game.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (4, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217159)

Why blame the platform?

There was a commercial (I have no idea what it was for anymore) of an interview with a hypothetical sports star after a bad game. My poor memory of the dialog follows.
"That was a rough game, what do you think lead to the loss?"
"Well, I've learned that after a failure, it's always best to look inward first."
"The great ones always do."
"But since I know I'm not at fault, I blame the other players, the coach, the refs, the fans, ..." (it went on for a while)

He's thinking he can cry for attention (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217091)

Seems to have worked, since MS contacted him and we have a story.

He might even get a deal from MS now, or garner some eyeballs to look at his company/game.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (5, Funny)

kelemvor4 (1980226) | about 2 years ago | (#42217431)

He took a business risk trying to port the game to Windows RT and lost? Now he's crying about it? Great, yeah, it costs money to port things to new platforms. But that's why you do your research first! Hell, I'm not going around yelling how my non-existing game on Steam is selling bad! But I know a thing or two about business and this is exactly why you research and don't cry about failed business decisions.

I agree, I mean based on the headline it sounds as though nearly every single user of RT purchased his game. What more could he want?

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1, Insightful)

Charliemopps (1157495) | about 2 years ago | (#42217543)

We have no idea what he was told by Microsoft. One of the biggest problems with Windows8 and their store is all the things it doesn't do that iOS and Android do. It doesn't even have a back button for gods sake. I have to imagine the store and distribution system has the same lack of features and is probably what he's complaining about. Microsoft probably tried to attract vendors like him by promising all sorts of promotion and such that he's not seeing as Microsoft realizes they have another Vista on their hands and are trying to pull back on investment before they lose too much money.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217627)

Agreed. So the real message here is that RT will be a failure because it's infinitesimal market share makes the risk of expending resources on a port far too high.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1)

poetmatt (793785) | about 2 years ago | (#42217833)

52 pounds implies that a seriously small subset of the RT marketshare bought his game. That is easily the fault of the developer, not the platform. I still think RT will be a failure because BIOS DRM is asinine.

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217917)

And just how big is RT's market share supposed to be?

Re:Sorry to be frank but what did he think (1)

MMC Monster (602931) | about 2 years ago | (#42217729)

Tell you the truth, I misread the headline to say "£52K", and thought 'Hey, that's not too bad. What a whiner!'

£52 pounds, though... I could probably make more than that just scanning in some recipes or a fart app. Or at least I could on Google's or Apple's stores.

MY RAVEN WAS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217017)

MY RAVEN WAS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING

DRONES
02 x WARRIOR I DRONES
03 x HAMMERHEAD I DRONES

UPGRADES
01 x ROCKET FUEL CACHE PARTINTION I
01 x BAY LOADING ACCELERATOR I

Re:MY RAVEN WAS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING (0, Offtopic)

Dunbal (464142) | about 2 years ago | (#42217109)

And you wonder why you got blapped.

Porting to Windows RT (3)

bonch (38532) | about 2 years ago | (#42217019)

I was excited about WinRT (not to be confused with Windows RT...yeah, I know) during Windows 8's development and was considering porting a project, but after evaluating Windows 8, the lack of features in the APIs, annoying interface decisions, and confusing hardware fragmentation made it an easy decision not to bother. Microsoft's alleged refusal to promote ARM-only apps, when it needs all the apps it can get, re-affirms that decision. Windows 8 is a non-starter as a development platform.

No, the only explanation is rampant piracy! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217037)

It's further proof that we must control every packet that flows in and out form the computer! :)

You idiots (5, Insightful)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about 2 years ago | (#42217047)

You ported your game to a new platform, out for a month on a single high end high price tablet, and you are shocked that you didn't sell as many copies as the Android version. There are hundreds of millions of Android devices out there, with a couple of million more being added every day.

Re:You idiots (-1, Troll)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217271)

Yeah, and you can expect the same results.

Android users are the cheapest bastards out there.

Re:You idiots (5, Interesting)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217427)

You know, I'd always heard that too. I've been an iOS user since the iPhone 3G so I've bought my share of apps there and have a good feel for mobile app pricing. I was pretty surprised by the prices in the Google Play store when I bought a Nexus 7 last week. Often things I'd expect to pay $.99-$1.99 for in the App Store are $5-7.

I wonder if this is a new trend? Are they compensating for lower sales, or has the Android market changed recently?

Re:You idiots (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217509)

Normally software in the Play store is a little cheaper.

I know I would probably not pay $9 for an app unless it was really amazing.

Re:You idiots (0)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217733)

See my reply to Githaron

Re:You idiots (1)

Githaron (2462596) | about 2 years ago | (#42217511)

What kind of apps do you buy?

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217659)

(First of all, all prices are Canadian, if it matters)

All over the place, really. The only thing I actually paid for in the Play store so far is Need For Speed: Most Wanted. It's a pretty awesome game, and $7. I just checked and it's the same in the App Store. That might be a reasonable price but don't developers get 100% of that on Android, unlike iOS apps where they only get 70%? You'd think they would make it a buck cheaper on Android to encourage people to make a switch to the platform with a higher profit margin.

I don't have any specific apps off the top of my head, but I was looking for something to control iTunes with and couldn't find anything under $5

Re:You idiots (1)

ConfusedVorlon (657247) | about 2 years ago | (#42217719)

developers get 70% on Android too.

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217753)

News to me. Surely, thats only from the Google Play store, right? At least nothing forces a developer to sell their software there or a customer from buying it there

Re:You idiots (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217799)

Yeah, but amazon pays the same cut I think.

Of course an android developer could always sell the apk right from his own website if he so desired.

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217851)

Exactly, I think I will do a search for the developer's site before I buy any more

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217775)

The price differences platform-to-platform of the app in your signature is pretty interesting, care to explain why you chose those prices?

Re:You idiots (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217755)

Does that game have IAP?

It looked interesting and I loved the series almost 20 years ago, but I will never buy anything that uses IAP.

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217827)

I honestly haven't played it enough yet to answer that, and a quick Google didn't either.

I don't mind if they, for instance, sell you a fast car to help you advance faster, as long as you could get to the exact same place eventually by playing normally

Re:You idiots (3, Insightful)

Bill Hayden (649193) | about 2 years ago | (#42217681)

Odd, I've had the exact opposite experience. I've found things are generally more expensive in the Apple store.

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217707)

I should add that more apps, even MOST apps, are free. I just found that the apps that do cost money seemed to cost more.

Re:You idiots (1)

Colonel Korn (1258968) | about 2 years ago | (#42217887)

I just moved from Android back to an iPhone for the first time in a few generations and for the apps I want I'm seeing something of the reverse. A lot of the apps I used on my SGS2 for free cost $1-5 to unlock a similar feature set in iOS. A lot of the things I did with Android can't be done at all until the iPhone 5 gets jailbroken (like a robust call blocker).

On the other hand, last night I didn't have my expensive new lightning cable near my bed but I saw that I still had 68% of my battery charge left after a day of moderate use, so I didn't charge my phone while I slept. When I woke up this morning I still had 62% of my battery life remaining. I'm impressed, but I'll probably still leave iOS when another upgrade becomes available on my Sprint account in six months.

Re:You idiots (1)

Jesse_vd (821123) | about 2 years ago | (#42217985)

I don't know about you but I'm snagging a Nexus 4 as soon as I can :) at $300 unlocked, it's a steal. I haven't touched my iPad 2 since buying the Nexus 7, either, so I think that's going on Craigslist, maybe to be replaced by the Nexus 10. Android is finally grown up, if you ask me.

No shit (4, Insightful)

Sycraft-fu (314770) | about 2 years ago | (#42217323)

Also, it is for a game that has already been on sale for awhile, thus many have already played it and aren't interested in re-buying it.

If they think there'll be massive sales on a new platform, well they are dumb. If they think there'll be massive sales on a new platform of a game that is old, they are doubly dumb.

Re:No shit (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217485)

That, or their executive team is from the MPAA or RIAA. :p

Re:You idiots (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217593)

They ported their game as one of the rarest mainstream games for new platform what suppose to have a millions users now (Windows 8 RT games runs on Windows Phone 8 as well) and they are now warning that Window is dead when it comes to game business.

If there would be hundreds of thousands mainstream games for Windows platform, then it would be OK to have just 52 pound in first month when you can not be visible at all.

Stupid is as stupid does (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217057)

If you want your game to be a hit, there better be an x86 port. WinRT on arm is currently a nowheresville and Rubicon should have known that.

Re:Stupid is as stupid does (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217407)

There already is, I believe it is on Steam.

Still I bet the iOS and Android versions far outsell that.

Microsoft to pounds (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217083)

pounds salt

Not surprised (0)

heptapod (243146) | about 2 years ago | (#42217107)

XBox live is complete shit. Games aren't promoted, but the latest NFL or some other mainstream media event is all over the main screen. Plus one needs a 'gold' account to watch Netflix. Microsoft is floundering something big.

Heard this same story over and over with indies (4, Informative)

MetalliQaZ (539913) | about 2 years ago | (#42217117)

This story certainly doesn't seem new to anyone who follows the development of indie games, especially WRT the Xbox360. Microsoft has a history of deprioritizing indie games in general, making it difficult to get promotion for titles without large publishers, and general indifference to a healthy developer ecosystem.

No surprise, then, when mobile games suffer the same fate. They seem to think that they can just copy the worst parts of Apple's model and it will just flourish...

Re:Heard this same story over and over with indies (2)

locopuyo (1433631) | about 2 years ago | (#42217229)

The Indie marketplace is so hidden away on xbox 360 that even some of the top 10 rated and selling games for the month have under 10k sales.

Re:Heard this same story over and over with indies (5, Insightful)

UnknowingFool (672806) | about 2 years ago | (#42217421)

Microsoft's most recent problems have been execution. The company by many aspects is too slow and bureaucratic.

The Zune is a good example. The iPod came out in 2001. Many here thought it would fail but it didn't. As early as 2003 MS was working on a competing product; however, Jim Allchin called their own product "terrible". It would take MS another 3 years to get a product to consumers. At the time, the Zune was probably the best MP3 player out there (questionable color choices aside). The marketing was horrible; the PC software was buggy. But more importantly, MS failed to realize that the market wasn't in MP3 players anymore. Apple came out with the iPod Touch which was a portable computing device that functioned as a PDA/browser/MP3 player/whatever. The Zune never caught up.

The Kin was another example. When MS bought Danger, the plan was to release a new phone in six months. It took 18 months and when released the phone was buggy and lacked a market. Insiders say many internal decisions doomed the effort. The Sidekicks used Java as the primary language, but being a MS product, that would not be allowed. The product team had to replace the entire OS with Windows CE. That decision alone would doom the six month deadline. There were two internal mobile teams and the Windows CE team refused to help the Danger team as they wanted to kill the project.

Re:Heard this same story over and over with indies (2)

thomasw_lrd (1203850) | about 2 years ago | (#42217893)

It's almost like someone had a time machine during the anti-trust trial and knew that if they split Microsoft into different companies, that would make the Microsoft ecosystem a bigger threat than if they just let it be one giant company that would fail after so many years.

Someone should write a short story about that.

Expectations of Promotion? (3, Insightful)

_bug_ (112702) | about 2 years ago | (#42217119)

It seems Rubicon's beef was the lack of promotion by Microsoft of their title. Is this promotion Rubicon pays for or is this an expectation that their app would be freely promoted for them?

Is an app's success due in large part to the operator of the app store promoting said app? That seems like a system ripe for bribery.

Re:Expectations of Promotion? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217385)

Yes. Is it a surprise to you that apps that gets featured on the front page of app stores make more money?

Woohoo! (2)

slashmydots (2189826) | about 2 years ago | (#42217131)

Wow, it's such a good thing Microsoft put all their eggs in one basket and made the desktop OS look identical to their tablet. Now if the tablet falls flat (well, it did), that will make even less sense than it did when people were beta testing and screaming about how stupid it is.

It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (5, Insightful)

Revotron (1115029) | about 2 years ago | (#42217145)

...that nobody wants to pay for his game.

Okay, so, £52 in the first week? That's about $83. That's roughly $12/day. In the first week. On a brand new platform.

What the fuck was this guy thinking? That when he hit the magic "Submit" button on the developers portal for the MS App Store, money would start raining down from the ceiling? Did he think scantily clad women would arrive on his doorstep within minutes to personally "massage" him in a hot tub full of champagne?

The title might as well read, "Developer Underwhelmed by Product Success, Blames Everyone Else".

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217259)

Since this wasn't his first rodeo (it was a successful app from iOS/Android), I suspect he bought the hype that Microsoft was spewing about "gold in RT's hills!" and they prematurely jumped on the platform before it matures. (If it does... that is, as they say, not set in stone yet.)

Apparently his success on iOS was as simple as hitting the Submit button and raking in the dough. :) Go figure.

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (4, Interesting)

MetalliQaZ (539913) | about 2 years ago | (#42217329)

Sales generally peak very early in the release of a game. Opening week is extremely important for a game company.

Don't forget that they have bills and salaries to pay. They can't sit back and live off a trickle of money, hoping it will grow at some point in the future. It's either make decent money or start laying off.

It is a new platform but Microsoft made certain promises to developers, and this story shows that they may not be doing enough to keep those promises. It also shows that they seem to hold great power over them as well.

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (4, Interesting)

Missing.Matter (1845576) | about 2 years ago | (#42217449)

This is true as long as the game company actually markets their game. It seems this company expects the app store to do its marketing for it, by way of featuring their game in a highlights section or some other way, and they didn't actually promote the game themselves. They invested a whole *10 grand* in development (absolute peanuts relatively speaking), but then decided it wouldn't be worthwhile to actually promote their work, and expect Microsoft to do all the leg work? Whatever promises Microsoft made to developers, I'm sure "we will handle all promotion and marketing of all apps in our store" was not one of them.

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (1)

amicusNYCL (1538833) | about 2 years ago | (#42217683)

This is true as long as the game company actually markets their game.

That's what I was thinking. If this game is so great and mindblowing, then why haven't I heard of it? I've never seen an ad for it.

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (1)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217737)

Whatever promises Redmond makes, the one thing they cannot do is put a gun to a consumer's head and force them to pick some RT device over an iOS or Android one.

We said it all along. Microsoft was waaaayyyyy too late to the game. If an established player like Blackberry is getting dust kicked in its face by Apple and Samsung and the other Android manufacturers, then WTF do you expect a company coming four years later into the market to be doing? Yes, I know, there have been previous Windows mobile OSs, but they were marketing catastrophes as well.

But hey, any day now, all those Windows mobile devices are gonna start selling. I know, because MS shills keep saying how incredibly better Surface and the like are than everything else out there, and how legions of developers are getting on board as we speak to rake in the monster dollars to be made from those million sales.

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217399)

You could stop apologizing for Microsoft's failure and just take this article for what it is.

Yet another sign that WinRT and surface are a failure. Dead before launch. Stillborn.
Late to market and yet immature and half-baked compared to it's competitors.

I said it a year ago, months ago, a few weeks ago, and I say it today. WinRT is dead. Winmobile 8 is dead. Nokia is dead. Surface is dead. In six to twelve months all of these things will become laughably obvious.

I said the same things about RIM too. Who's laughing now?

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217567)

said it a year ago, months ago, a few weeks ago, and I say it today...In six to twelve months all of these things will become laughably obvious.

ACs have been saying this not just for years but for decades about every Microsoft product ever released. In 6 - 12 months Microsoft will be dead! And in 6-12 months, it will be the YOTLD.

Re:It's Clearly Microsoft's Fault... (1)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217757)

Because Bing, Win mobile 7 and Zune were all monster successes.

Tell me, how close is the Xbox division to paying off the money Redmond had to pour into it?

What's the install base? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217147)

He should be happy with his 95% market penetration...

Re:What's the install base? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217577)

Windows 8 is all about penetration. Mostly the grab-your-ankles type.

Re:What's the install base? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217875)

95% market penetration with a £26 app, that's REALLY impressive.

Where's the Windows 8 version? (4, Insightful)

Tridus (79566) | about 2 years ago | (#42217169)

An RT only version means that you're targeting a tiny portion of the user base. That's what, Surface RT users only? Not a lot of surprise that it failed given that target market.

Was the game any good? (1)

gtirloni (1531285) | about 2 years ago | (#42217171)

Sincere question because just "spent $10k on it" does not tell much.

Not $10k - british pounds. closer to $15-18,000 US (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217281)

reading comprehension.

Roughly corresponds to about 1 maybe two months of effort by one person.

Re:Was the game any good? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217289)

How does it cost $10k to port a game? That seems high. But I digress, I bought it and its installing so I will come back to speak on its value. It also has 1 review. The problem is that people want Xbox Live enabled games on the RT. Also the penetration rate of Windows RT is low so that figure seems pretty good considering the lack of RT devices floating around at this point.

Re:Was the game any good? (1)

alen (225700) | about 2 years ago | (#42217359)

if you figure $100,000 per year for salary and benefits per developer. then a few weeks work to port and debug a game costing $10,000 is not crazy.

Re:Was the game any good? (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 2 years ago | (#42217591)

Because they have to pay the salaries of the programmers and testers.

Re:Was the game any good? (1)

alen (225700) | about 2 years ago | (#42217343)

i played Great Little Wargame on iOS and it's pretty good. it has its short comings but a pretty good strategy/wargame overall

Re:Was the game any good? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217573)

Great BIG Wargame is much improved version of Great LITTLE Wargame. I found both fun (on my android tablet), but the BIG game was not only an improved version it also included full asynchronous networked multi-player. Very fun game indeed, in a way reminds me of an improved/modernized chess :)

i wanna know (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217239)

how the hell he got one guy to buy the same thing 52 times...

Re:i wanna know (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217501)

Well Balmer makes a pretty decent salary maybe he can just afford to buy all his apps 52 times.

show me the money (3, Insightful)

alen (225700) | about 2 years ago | (#42217321)

if Microsoft wants Surface to have any chance of success they need to start writing checks to the top devs to port their games/apps to RT. otherwise there is no financial incentive since the sales will probably not pay for the costs to port and test the apps

Re:show me the money (2)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217447)

They tried that with WinPhone. It failed so far.

Re:show me the money (2)

LordThyGod (1465887) | about 2 years ago | (#42217691)

and bing too ...

Actually, it *is* Microsoft's fault. (5, Insightful)

gestalt_n_pepper (991155) | about 2 years ago | (#42217369)

Either their marketing and sales department is just dumb OR the software development divisions have so much internal clout that they don't have to listen. I'm betting on the latter.

You want your platform to succeed? You need apps. You want a lot of apps quickly, you'd better make it EASY EASY EASY to port existing apps from other popular platforms to your new platform. Preferably, with one click. Another solution would be a near perfect OS emulator. However you do it, you have to do it.

The Fuck You development culture of Microsoft says "No. Go recode and don't bother me with your problems. You're just an ISV after all. The only people we care about are large business customers." The other obvious characteristic that's becoming obvious is the assumption of success. MS obviously has no plan B. No backup to boost sales or make the platform desirable. It's "We're Microsoft. Here it is. Take it or leave it."

Frankly, I don't see how Microsoft is going to last another 10 years this way.

Re:Actually, it *is* Microsoft's fault. (5, Insightful)

MojoRilla (591502) | about 2 years ago | (#42217513)

I was asked about porting a major live video application to the Surface recently. The Surface doesn't support flash in web views inside apps. It doesn't support HLS (without a third party library). They stubbornly insist that Silverlight and VC1 are still relevant. My answer to the request was, well, sure, but it will require a new encode farm, and rebuilding the app from the ground up. Which is basically a no-go.

Microsoft is very late to the party. Two other operating systems are there first, have far more users, and are generally more compatible with standards. Microsoft is late to the party, and clinging to all of their old proprietary baggage. And they wonder why they are losing.

Re:Actually, it *is* Microsoft's fault. (3, Insightful)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217807)

I wouldn't even say Redmond is losing at this point. They're not even in the race. You can hear it in the shills that post around here, where the latest explanation is that Microsoft isn't going after the iOS and Android market share, that Windows RT and Surface are so incredibly advanced and superior that they're going to make their own market.

It's like they've hired Baghdad Bob to do the marketing.

Re:Actually, it *is* Microsoft's fault. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217621)

Another solution would be a near perfect OS emulator.

Would that be wise in a highly portable device? It sounds like a battery drain.

Re:Actually, it *is* Microsoft's fault. (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217841)

Assuming you are smart enough to go the WINE route and just implement the other OSes API I see no reason why it would be a bigger battery drain at all.

No trial version (4, Interesting)

Missing.Matter (1845576) | about 2 years ago | (#42217387)

Gamers on Windows are used to having a trial version. Honestly, if there isn't a trial version I just pass right over it. I've been burned by shitty apps time and time again, I won't risk the money just to find out it's terrible. I've certainly bought plenty of games after playing the trial version, so perhaps they'd see some more sales if they added that feature.

They should also think about porting to Windows 8.... no idea why the limited their app to only Windows RT, as the market share is so small right now.

Re:No trial version (1)

Desler (1608317) | about 2 years ago | (#42217623)

And yet very few games cone with one and yet. I think you are falsely extrapolating your own wants to the public at large.

Re:No trial version (3, Informative)

Missing.Matter (1845576) | about 2 years ago | (#42217981)

Of the paid apps in the US store that I can see, 45% have a trial. For games, this figure goes up to 48%. Of the top 20 apps in the Noteworthy category, 85% have a trial. Not including one is a serious misstep for this developer.

Wow, that's great? (2)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217391)

He is mad about this?
To get that much money every WindowsRT user must have bought it.

Re:Wow, that's great? (2)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217821)

Some of them twice, me thinks.

Won't promote RT apps? (3, Interesting)

Enderandrew (866215) | about 2 years ago | (#42217439)

Microsoft is selling tablets and phones that won't run traditional Windows apps, and can only run Windows RT apps. Microsoft is encouraging developers to make RT the standard for future Windows development, but for some reason they aren't willing to promote RT apps?

Here is the problem. Most people have an Android or iOS device today. If there Android and iOS apps you really love, you probably already purchased them for those platforms (and perhaps for both if you jumped ship at some point).

How many people are jumping at the bit to buy them again for another platform?

What Microsoft really needs is killer new apps that take advantage of Windows in a unique way that aren't on Android or iOS. And I just don't see that happening. Windows RT is dead on arrival for a number of reasons (can't join a domain, can't run legacy Windows apps and doesn't offer anything new for future development).

Re:Won't promote RT apps? (1)

h4rr4r (612664) | about 2 years ago | (#42217635)

It can't join a domain?
Then why in the hell would anyone even care about it vs iPad and android?

Fail MS, fail.

The original blog post (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217629)

"Anyone who caught my previous post might already know that we recently released Great Big War Game onto Windows RT. If you're one of the teeny tiny crowd of people who just bought one of these devices, you can find one of the very small number of âoeproperâ games right here: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/great-big-war-game/30f26b23-aa92-4fed-9273-099de3069616 [microsoft.com]

A week after release we have made the princely sum of £52 in sales. That's not a typo. And despite this, and the fact that GBWG is one of only several halfway decent launch titles, Microsoft have confirmed they will not give us any promotional features or help us with visibility in any way.

If you're familiar with their new store, this means our app is forever consigned to the garbage bin, presumably earning us less than £52 a week in future. Even if that rate is sustained, it will take just under two years before we recoup the salary paid to the guy who did the port.

Apple regularly promote our apps. Android regularly promote our apps. Even RIM (Blackberry) regularly promote our apps. We enjoy working with those companies and it's nice to see them acknowledge that we bring them some small amount of additional value to their setup. Firms our size need a bit of a leg up, and we go out of our way to show our gratitude to the above for helping us out in this way from time to time.

Microsoft on the other hand clearly do not value us at all. Even whilst there's almost nothing to promote, they will not feature our title for bizarre admin reasons. And this is whilst their store is empty and they need developers like us to fill their store far more than developers like us need them to pay us £50 a week.

Needless to say we will not be working with Microsoft again to bring any of our titles, old or new, to this platform. A snub is never a nice thing to receive, but when it's from someone who needs you more than you need them, it's doubly insulting. And it's not like we're cutting off our nose to spite our face - even small indies can live without an additional £52 a week.

If other developers get this treatment, that store is going to look might bleak for a long time to come. Please take this as a warning. I know I sound bitter and twisted and there's a reason for that - I actually am. We have wasted a lot of time, resources and money on supporting this platform and all that happened was we got spat on.

If you're not familiar with Great Big War Game, here's some reviews. Not many indie titles get accolades like this: http://www.rubicondev.com/gbwg/reviews.php [rubicondev.com] and certainly none that you'd expect a major platform holder to shun.

I hope this thing falls flat on it's face, but I do hope they don't take other developers down with them. We are fortunate enough to able to suck up the £6,000 it cost to do this port and move on, but other outfits may well not. Don't be one of them.

Here's my usual picture to end on.

http://www.rubicondev.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/bgifdhad.jpg [rubicondev.com] "

Windows RT is not a gaming platform (1)

Arno Stark (2789795) | about 2 years ago | (#42217727)

people don't buy Windows RT tablets to play games. They buy them to run that built in MS-Office 2013 and log into Facebook and maybe even read email or watch a few videos. The Windows RT devices are not designed for playing games. In order to play a game you need a decent CPU and graphics card, which Windows RT devices do not have.

Re:Windows RT is not a gaming platform (2)

MightyMartian (840721) | about 2 years ago | (#42217867)

By all accounts, people don't seem to buy Windows RT tablets at all.

clearly failure is always an option (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42217777)

that's about how much I made on my iOS game. maybe I should port mine over! think about it, doubling the money! $$$

(yes I'm just saying expecting success and not having it is a dumb thing to complain about)

Since when are developers entitled to customers? (3)

detain (687995) | about 2 years ago | (#42217825)

I must be doing something wrong or missed a very important memo. I find it hard enough to get people using my open source software let alone paying for it, and this guy is clearly under the impression he is entitled to a steady instantly large flow of income from his first platform release.

Looks like a nice game, though (1)

jonabbey (2498) | about 2 years ago | (#42217911)

I just bought myself a copy for my Android tablet. Thanks, MS!