EFF Moves To Nix Trademark On "Gaymer"

samzenpus posted about 2 years ago | from the it-gets-better dept.

Electronic Frontier Foundation 231

netbuzz writes "Spurred by the mark holder's cease and desist letter to Reddit's subreddit r/gaymer, the Electronic Frontier Foundation today officially petitioned the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to rescind its grant of a trademark registration on the word "gaymer". 'This registration should never have been granted,' said EFF Intellectual Property Director Corynne McSherry. 'Gaymer is a common term that refers to members of this vibrant gaming community, and we are happy to help them fight back and make sure the term goes back to the public domain where it belongs.'"

It's official!! (-1, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42678957)

EFF is limp- wristed cock chugging faggots and data molestors

Re:It's official!! (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679037)

And you, sir are a bigot.

Re:It's official!! (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679117)

Go back to kikesreal you greasy-ass jew.

Re:It's official!! (4, Funny)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 2 years ago | (#42679495)

And you, sir are a bigot.

Or a homogot.

Re:It's official!! (4, Insightful)

Dexter Herbivore (1322345) | about 2 years ago | (#42679139)

It'd be nice if the trolls on /. showed a little more intelligence than this, this is just lazy.

Re:It's official!! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679197)

Yeah, standards have slipped since I was alt.hacker's resident troll-hunter...

Re:It's official!! (3, Insightful)

i kan reed (749298) | about 2 years ago | (#42679839)

If it's any less blatant than this it gets modded to +5 insightful.

Gaymer? (1, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42678965)

I thought everyone spellt it Gamer!?!?

Really!? (4, Interesting)

Tagged_84 (1144281) | about 2 years ago | (#42678987)

What's so different about a gaymer compared to a gamer? Why the need to segregate gamers based on their personal sexuality? Do they prefer certain genres? Or just demand gay sex in the games they play?

- From a confused gamer

Re:Really!? (0, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679007)

I would assume they're the people EA/Bioware are shoving on Makeb.

I mean seriously, if I was gay, and one of my fellow colleagues referred to us as that, I would just like DIE.

Lingo faux paux are just as bad as fashion faux paux after all! Sometimes even worse!

Re:Really!? (3, Funny)

Sique (173459) | about 2 years ago | (#42679083)

q.e.d.

Re:Really!? (3, Funny)

Sique (173459) | about 2 years ago | (#42679157)

For the french impaired: faux paux means false pricks.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679263)

couldn't find that "paux" word in my head, nor in a dictionnary... did you mean bite or connard or piqure to translate that "prick" word ? (even if I suppose it'd be bite in this context)

Re:Really!? (1)

Sique (173459) | about 2 years ago | (#42679407)

paux is the plural form of pal, which means prick.

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679483)

nope, it's "pals".

Re:Really!? (1)

Sique (173459) | about 2 years ago | (#42679529)

Not in french.

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679625)

Pardon my french, but not all words that end with "al" end with "aux" when plural [larousse.com] .

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679455)

"paux" isn't a word so I doubt "faux paux" would mean false pricks. Who's the french impaired?

Re:Really!? (1)

Sique (173459) | about 2 years ago | (#42679541)

paux is the plural of pal. In french, words ending in -al have the plural form -aux.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679683)

Most rules have exceptions to them. But you should know them, you took a french class in middle school!

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679397)

I was gay

Me too, but the changes in OS X 10.7 were too much for me to bear - I wasn't happy about it, but I had to switch back to Windows.

Re:Really!? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679009)

From a confused gamer

don't worry, buddy. lots of people are confused and struggle with their identity. no one will judge you. just be yourself and everything will be o.k.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679697)

I just don't know if I should start wearing shirts that say "He's into FPS" or "He's into "MMO" I.. don't know who I am sometimes.. how can I expect others to know?

Re:Really!? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679021)

A better question would be what's the difference between you and a pathetic dog molester. The answer is of course none. There is no difference between you and a pathetic dog molester. Because you are a pathetic dog molester. Which is why you demand dog molestation in the games you play. I'm going to go and trade mark 'dogmolestermer' to describe people like yourself.

Re:Really!? (4, Informative)

They'reComingToTakeM (1091657) | about 2 years ago | (#42679033)

Both parties lose due to prior claims.

Gaymer's (http://www.gaymers.co.uk/) has been a UK cider producer since 1770 AD.

Re:Really!? (4, Insightful)

Annirak (181684) | about 2 years ago | (#42679071)

Trademark doesn't work like that. Trademarks are only valid in particular regions. If Gaymer's is a UK cider producer since 1770AD, then they most likely hold a trademark in the UK. That doesn't mean that another entity can't register the same trademark somewhere else.

Re:Really!? (2)

Sique (173459) | about 2 years ago | (#42679105)

And they only hold that trademark for food and beverages. Gaymer's car parts would be completely unaffected by the existance of Gaymer's cidre.

Re:Really!? (4, Informative)

Annirak (181684) | about 2 years ago | (#42679143)

You're quite right. Trademarks are both geographically restricted and market restricted. If you're in a different market or a different location, the trademark doesn't apply.

And you have to register everywhere that you do business for the trademark to be valid in that region.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679127)

Actually, a better way to view where the trademark holds is to view where the product is sold. The basic principle is that the trademark protects consumers from confusion by restricting giving similar names to similar products.

If the products are very different, like a computer and a bottle of cider, the same name can be used for both even in the same region. I doubt there would be problems with trademarks if you tried to sell Gaymer computers in the UK, even though there's a cider brand of similar name. On the other hand, Gaymer beer probably wouldn't be allowed.

Re:Really!? (4, Insightful)

QuasiSteve (2042606) | about 2 years ago | (#42679079)

You can have trademarks of the same name applied to a different trade. I'm pretty sure that the cider production trade is rather unrelated to the glbt gaming culture trade.

Prior art as to its common use by glbt gamers going back a decade or two would be a more appropriate argument in the trademark dispute.

Re:Really!? (2)

SeaFox (739806) | about 2 years ago | (#42679249)

Until Sid Meier's Beverage Tycoon is released, that is.

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679475)

That's why Apple Records lost to Apple Computer. Apple Computer could never be confused with a music distribution company, after all...

Re:Really!? (1)

AmiMoJo (196126) | about 2 years ago | (#42679311)

Trademarks are only for the area the business operates in, so as long as these guys are not producing cider it's fine.

Re:Really!? (2)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679045)

Standard homophobic bigoted response to bring up bestiality like as if it's an equivalent. Nasty. When do you plan to come out of the closet?

Re:Really!? (1, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679097)

That wasn't my intention and I apologize. I simply wanted to use my new insult in conversation. I should have thought about the context before posting so that people wouldn't think what you thought. Again, sorry about that. My bad.

Re:Really!? (2, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679237)

Oh come on, now. It was just that one time, it was consensual, and the bitch said she was older than two!

Re:Really!? (4, Insightful)

Xenx (2211586) | about 2 years ago | (#42679053)

Why does any group of people identify themselves as part of said group? They want to. In this case, it doesn't sound like a tag being forced on them. It's a name to identify as a gay gamer. No reason to think too hard.

Re:Really!? (0, Flamebait)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679947)

They do it for attention. Why would you have sex with a man in the first place if not in a misguided ply for attention?

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42680157)

Because it's awesome!

Re:Really!? (5, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679057)

Have you ever seen what happens in online games/communities with people who are even vaguely suspected of being gay? It's not pretty generally. So gay people tend to congregate in communities in which they can play without having to be careful about what they say and without having to pretend, lest they be offended/insulted/stalked/threatened/spammed or other fun things.

Re:Really!? (5, Funny)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679179)

That's why I game as a gay player. It's so fun to detect the noobie "you're a faggot!!!@#$!@#$" little boys and headshot them for their trouble.

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679939)

I think you're overreacting, noobs call everyone fags.

Re:Really!? (2)

88NoSoup4U88 (721233) | about 2 years ago | (#42680093)

"Have you ever seen what happens in online games/communities" ; You didn't need to add the rest. It's all part of Gabe's Internet Fuckwad Theory.
Though to be fair; I kinda hate how the word 'gay' (to depict something to be bad) seems to have started in online games (or that's where I first picked it up), and now also seems to be common ground in real life. When I still used to admin a gameserver, I used to explicitly ban people for that (after giving one warning). Seems to be a lot harder to do in real life :-/

Re:Really!? (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679061)

Why don't you find out? There might be many reasons why gay gamers would group together like this, one being the disgusting, knuckledragging homophobic and sexist abuse that is rampant in the gaming community, kicking back against that. Being proud of who you are. And you only have to read the cretinous, ugly responses to this post to see the truth of how marglinalised supposedly intelligent nerds can make gay people feel. Use your fucking brain for gods sake.

Re:Really!? (-1, Offtopic)

dugancent (2616577) | about 2 years ago | (#42679077)

Roses are red,
grass is greener.

When I read Slashdot,
I play with my weiner.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679339)

The answer is simple. Stupidity, not hatred.
People want to curse a lot, so, instead of fuck and shit and other universal things, that are most commonly filtered, they go for the less filtered ones.

I wonder if there's a study, that shows which age group curses more.

Re:Really!? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42680303)

Well, who jacked off in your Special K this morning, Miss Prissy Pants?

Re:Really!? (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679065)

How many gaymers with a slight lisp get called a faggot and made fun of when they just want to play a video game online like everyone else? Makes sense to me.

Re:Really!? (4, Funny)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 2 years ago | (#42679135)

An appropriate moment from the Simpsons:

"We're here! We're queer! Get used to it!"
Lisa: "We are used to it. You do this every year."

Except when we're not. (5, Insightful)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679331)

Even ignoring the cesspool that is the twelve year olds of FPS games, no, we're not used to it.

MMOs are a prime example. Spend five minutes in one, and you'll see rampant homophobia, bigotry and sexism - ranging from the sadly accepted as tame (EVE Online, usually when one of the aforementioned twelve year olds is relieved of their poorly fitted ship) to making you wonder if you've logged into a fucking Klan meeting (Hi, raiding guilds of EverQuest 2, WoW, et cetera).

Gamers, like most psuedo-anonymous people on the Internets, are largely shitheads; shitheads who will never shut up about buttsex, women making sandwiches, or traps.

Oh thats nothing (4, Informative)

Phrogman (80473) | about 2 years ago | (#42679453)

If you want to see *really* abusive language and offensive comments concentrated into their purest form, go play an mmoRPG and try *Roleplaying*. Nothing gets the 12 yr old mentality for heaping offensive abuse on other players up more than encountering a roleplayer in a roleplaying game, believe me.
In Dark Age of Camelot we had 3 Roleplaying/PvP servers, with a specific set of rules intended to foster RP behavior. We also had some of the best PvPing in the game going. However, there were regularly people who would create a character on one of these RP servers (there were like 17 other servers they could have chosen instead) *solely* for the purpose of standing in a populated area and heaping abuse on anyone they found. I would say I appealed at least 1 person per play session typically for this sort of behavior. I just don't get it. Its not like I logged into the non-Rp servers to insult them for not choosing to roleplay, that would just be a massive waste of my time if nothing else. I can't imagine being so bored as to have nothing better to do that insult people I will never play with.
Now, I am not gay, but I can easily understand why those who are would group together to form their own community and avoid the abuse they probably get on a regular basis - or at least manage to avoid the typically offensive speech of the gamers around them.
I cannot really imagine wanting to claim a term that would focus that abuse on me though. That seems *to me* to smack of wanting a reason to get outraged and complain about. Still whatever fills your boots I suppose...

However I agree that online gamers are typically highly offensive and ignorant as a baseline behavior. Sure, some rise above that but they are the rarity, the vast, vast majority start at pig-ignorant and dig their way down from there. Admittedly this is mostly true only of RPGs that have a heavy PvP element to them. My wife plays LOTRO and it seems fairly mild, but then PvP there is a minor afterthought really.

Re:Oh thats nothing (1)

RobertLTux (260313) | about 2 years ago | (#42680091)

things that the Server Folks could do to help fix this problem

1 have a class of Ancient Epic NPCs that could NUKE a character for this kind of thing (get caught and find yourself in the Wylds trying to fight an Elder Wyrm Dragon with half of your "toys" left behind in town)

2 have a Demi-God Wizard convert the character in question into a young girl/pixie (so they drop any armour and weapons, get slapped with a LolKitteh chat filter and get trapped into a special "safe area") and then if they try to just RNC block the ips they are coming from.

3 work things so that you HAVE TO build a party to do anything from the list of X things (which includes getting The Good Toys)

Re:Except when we're not. (2)

K. S. Kyosuke (729550) | about 2 years ago | (#42679547)

I think that Mr. Sulu has the right response for this. [youtube.com] . :D

Re:Except when we're not. (1)

nedlohs (1335013) | about 2 years ago | (#42679723)

None of that means they aren't used to the presence of gay people. It just means they are also dickheads.

Re:Except when we're not. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679727)

This is the society that we have built and it's actually much tamer in other parts of the world where they would just hang gaymers instead.

Re:Except when we're not. (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42680129)

Maybe gaymers have a softer skin than the rest of us mortals.

It can be incredibly hostile (4, Insightful)

SmallFurryCreature (593017) | about 2 years ago | (#42679775)

I played Lord of the Rings Online the most and was a casual raid leader (meaning I organized and ran raids for casual players where often the loot would go to someone who had a birthday or fought well or been really unlucky rather then loot tables, I also didn't care about levels or experience). They were somewhat popular and I was asked to lead other groups... and then found out that in the NON-PUG groups, getting people to talk was a LOT easier. In the PUG raids everyone had sound on but for some reason few had a microphone. Suddenly in the closed raids, most had. And high voices.

Turns out I had been gaming with a lot of women. And I mean a LOT. Some were raids were majority female but when I asked them to join a pug something became clear... they were willing to play BUT could I not reveal they were female.

I have had several discussions online and in the real world were I was told about the kind of abuse female players receive. And this is NOT the rage kind when someone just says "bitch" or the sexual innuendo. Women talk like that too. It were attacks that yes as the AC says, you would expect in Klan meeting. One type of attack is that women have no right to play the game... I mean seriously. WTF?

AND it is not just trolling, there are a lot of REAL misogynists online. They can't vent their putrid bile in real life because they would get beaten up but online they let go.

So... the women hide online and only reveal their gender if they feel safe. AND THAT IS NOT OKAY! If you think it is, then I hate your fucking guts and hope you die before spreading your diseased genes. Because THIS attitude is what fuels extremists by tolerating them. It is basically nothing else then "if you don't want to be raped, don't reveal your gender". It is YOUR kind that created the burkha.

People should be free to be who they are. Yes, there can be gentle ribbing like Q.I. makes fun of homosexuals and hetero's alike BUT that is NOT what gay and female gamers are talking about. Gay and female gamers don't want special regonizition, they simply want to be able to be who they are without getting attacked simply for speaking with a high voice.

And only a closet bigot would start an argument over whether they got the right to be who they are.

Re:It can be incredibly hostile (1)

interkin3tic (1469267) | about 2 years ago | (#42680181)

Sounds like xbox live.

Turns out I had been gaming with a lot of women

Ah... nevermind.

Re:Really!? (0)

oever (233119) | about 2 years ago | (#42679469)

A gaymer is a camper in the closet.

Re:Really!? (4, Informative)

Gwala (309968) | about 2 years ago | (#42679691)

If you want a legitimate answer from someone who's in one of the larger local Gaymer communities here's a couple of reasons:

2- It's an excuse to go hang out at a bar with a group of people with something in common every couple of weeks.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679815)

So it's a prostitution network, the games are only for cover?

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42680255)

>1- Multiplayer gaming is an endless tirade of gay-this, faggot-that. It's nice to play games and socialise with people who aren't jerks. (Yes yes, harden the fuck up, etc - but it is annoying.)

Less talking

>3- While I know it's not applicable to me (LTR), but the group I'm in has at least partly become a dating pool - for gay guys and girls, that's actually sometimes a bit harder than you may be used to.

More doing.

Re:Really!? (3, Informative)

CosmicMuse (2751635) | about 2 years ago | (#42680059)

No, we don't prefer certain genres. And no, we don't demand gay sex in our games, though seeing gay and lesbian -relationships- or -characters- is nice. As for segregation - that implies walling ourselves off from the rest of the gaming community. We don't - usually, the most a 'gaymer' will do is join an LGBT-friendly guild. That's hardly a surprising move when you see some of the vitriol the gaming community at large directs at LGBT people - "faggot" is practically a synonym for any other insulting term you can think of to some people. Gaymers look for places where they don't have to put up with that, and where they can share leisure time with people who have similar interests to them, in game and out - the modern equivalent of the local bar. Is that really such a big deal?

Re:Really!? (1)

Bill_the_Engineer (772575) | about 2 years ago | (#42680147)

I do agree that the term "gaymer" seems to segregate rather than integrate the gay gamers from the rest of us. However I believe the term in the article refers to a forum where they all congregated. I think it's a neat play on words and a cool name for a forum that they use share their experiences and thoughts with fellow gay gamers ( I assume that it what the forum is for ). I think the person who trademarked the term is a douche bag and I wish them luck in their legal battle.

Re:Really!? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42680221)

To clarify, yes. the Gaymer subreddit is a place where LGBT gamers can read lgbt-specific news/game reviews/people's experiences. Often this stuff gets heavily flamed in regular gaming forums/subreddits, so it tends to be a place where gamers can read this sort of content without being bombarded with negativity. Also a very friendly place where people can find other accepting folks that play the same games that they do. I'm under the impression that non-gay gamers are welcome to participate in the community, but that the name indicates that it's a place where people can discuss gaming culture without having to worry about running into loads of unpleasant flaming.

In the UK... (4, Informative)

zandeez (1917156) | about 2 years ago | (#42679067)

In the UK 'Gaymer' is a company that makes Cider. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaymer_Cider_Company [wikipedia.org]

Re:In the UK... (0)

second_coming (2014346) | about 2 years ago | (#42679081)

Came here to say the same thing, damn you beat me :)

Re:In the UK... (1)

91degrees (207121) | about 2 years ago | (#42679155)

My initial assumption was that they were the ones that filed the complaint. In which case, I could at least understand that they might be concerned with trademark dilution.

Re:In the UK... (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679719)

Trademark dilution only applies to trademarks in the same field.

Obviously cider production and gaming are two completely different things therefore two separate trademarks are possible.

Re:In the UK... (1)

shentino (1139071) | about 2 years ago | (#42680273)

Only if they're putting cream in the cider.

Look at me, I'm special! (-1, Troll)

sa666u (2626427) | about 2 years ago | (#42679073)

How do you call gamers that love cheese? There must be a word for that.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (5, Funny)

Dexter Herbivore (1322345) | about 2 years ago | (#42679089)

How do you call gamers that love cheese? There must be a word for that.

The French.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (-1, Flamebait)

sa666u (2626427) | about 2 years ago | (#42679147)

Bigot! Everyone has the right to be loud and obnoxious, to demand special treatment and exclusive rights.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (2)

Cwix (1671282) | about 2 years ago | (#42679341)

I am not sure how these people are demanding anything except the right to continue to call themselves what they have called themselves for years.

Do you even know whats going on here, you sound confused.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (-1, Flamebait)

sa666u (2626427) | about 2 years ago | (#42679587)

I'm not confused at all. These people are having ridiculous, laughable demands, ergo I take the opportunity to mock and laugh at them. "Gaymer" is not an actual dictionary word, therefore can not be part of the public domain. If they liked the name so much, they should have registered it as a trademark.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (2)

Cwix (1671282) | about 2 years ago | (#42679655)

I read the EFF page, the only demand I see is that they be allowed to use the name as they have for years. That is not ridiculous or laughable.

Considering how I feel your comments are misguided and silly, does that mean I am allowed to mock you?

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (0)

sa666u (2626427) | about 2 years ago | (#42679735)

As I already said, if they liked the name, they should have registered it. Unfortunately "...they have for years" is totally meaningless in court. First come, first serve (legally speaking). I couldn't care less about how you feel about anything. You are "allowed" to print my comment and wipe your behind with it if it makes you happy.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (2)

PPalmgren (1009823) | about 2 years ago | (#42680001)

Sort of on-topic, French get a lot of guff in international games, as do the quebecois. Surrender monkeys and lots of jokes about retreat and white flags.

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (2)

cpt kangarooski (3773) | about 2 years ago | (#42679241)

How do you call gamers that love cheese? There must be a word for that.

GruyÃrmers

Re:Look at me, I'm special! (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679893)

American Plastic or real?

this is how EFF spends donation money? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679107)

By being a free legal department for Reddit? Never donating to these jokers again. Strictly FSF from now on.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (4, Insightful)

Dexter Herbivore (1322345) | about 2 years ago | (#42679203)

No, by protecting the rights of gaymers online. Reddit is just the test case.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (4, Insightful)

Lehk228 (705449) | about 2 years ago | (#42679261)

Defending against corporate attempts to poach a name already in use via fraudulent trademark filings is not a good use of their funds?

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679291)

How does a trademark dispute between two corporations effect "electronic freedom"? Maybe next they will be doing free patent law work for Google since Android is like "sort of" open source? I'd love to see an investigation into conflicts of interest in this group...

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (0)

sa666u (2626427) | about 2 years ago | (#42679629)

Where exactly did you see fraudulent trademark filings? Was the brand free? Yes it was. I don't see a problem.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (2, Interesting)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42680075)

The problem is a commonly accepted term is not appropriate as a trademark. You can actually LOSE your trademark if you don't staunchly defend it against misuse (like calling all pain relievers "tylenol" instead of referring to the product "Tylenol"). If a company doesn't defend its trademark, the trademark disappears. Double trouble if you trademark a common phrase and try to suppress its use after the fact.

This guy is a fucking idiot and I guarantee he's going to lose the trademark.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (4, Insightful)

Joehonkie (665142) | about 2 years ago | (#42680095)

"Was the brand free?" It must be lovely seeing the world as a set of exploitable resources through your corporate colored glasses. Who cares if a word was in common use before this guys trademarked it and now he's suing the community he lifted it from? It's value as a "brand" is more important than anything else!

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (-1, Flamebait)

sa666u (2626427) | about 2 years ago | (#42680261)

This is the world that western civilization has created for itself. Don't hate the player, hate the game. "Ignorantia juris non excusat" - ignorance for the law is not an excuse.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (4, Insightful)

Joehonkie (665142) | about 2 years ago | (#42680307)

Except the law doesn't work the way you think it does. You cannot trademark a commonly used term and turn it against its common use. So I can trademark "Apple" as a music or computer company, but I can't trademark it as a brand of apples and sue people for calling their fruit apples.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (0)

feld (980784) | about 2 years ago | (#42679375)

Yeah, give your money to FSF and let Stallman get paid to ruin the open source community.

Give your money to one of the BSD projects and it won't be spent frivolously.

Re:this is how EFF spends donation money? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679409)

If I'm going to give R&D money to Apple I'd rather get an iPad for it...

These Comments are Stupid (1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679295)

I couldn't care less if someone is gay or not. I'm kinda tired of hearing "gay this" and "gay that" and "fags this" and "fags that" all the time, too. I don't fucking care about other people's sexuality. I also don't care about heterosexuals and how proud someone is of banging a drunk chick that he picked up at a meat rack bar. None of this shit really matters. If people want to be gay and game, whatever, go for it. Gay people also drink water -- does the "God Hates Fags" crowd intend to stop drinking water because of that? Again, in the larger scheme of things....who cares about sexual orientation? I spend more time worrying about our real loss of freedoms and the massive debt, and about a hundred other things. I'm tired of hearing about how everyone is homophobic and I'm also tired of hearing about how gay marriage will cause the country to fall into the seas. WORRY ABOUT REAL SHIT, PEOPLE.

Re:These Comments are Stupid (2, Informative)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679365)

If you were under the impression that gays don't bang drunk people they pick up at a meat rack bars like heterosexuals do then I have some bad news for you buddy...

Re:These Comments are Stupid (1)

History's Coming To (1059484) | about 2 years ago | (#42679997)

Absolutely. Just as with race, sexuality shouldn't even be an issue. "Oh, you're gay/straight/bi/transexual? OK. Oh, you also have black/white/coffee/etc skin? That must mean you make slightly different choices in make-up. Now would you please SHUT UP AND SPAWN AS AN ENGINEER THERE'S A BLOODY BIG TANK HERE!"

At some point the only people shouting about how minority groups are the same as everyone else will be the minority groups themselves - it's already getting that way. No, you're not special because you're in $minority, that's the entire point.

Of course the 12 year old trolls will still be around. The trick is not to feed them.

co34 (-1)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679329)

Conta3t to see if

Really? (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679377)

The tags looked like they said "Eff Games Yo"

I've never hard of this term before... (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679463)

.. and I've been gay for.. a while.

gaymer (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679657)

I heard about polymer, is that related in some way?

If it's a common term (1)

Hentes (2461350) | about 2 years ago | (#42679979)

Why am I hearing it now for the first time?

Why fight real social injustices (0)

Anonymous Coward | about 2 years ago | (#42679987)

when you can spend money instead on defending the proper use of made-up words that don't sound different from real words?