Fighting Gamer Rage With an Arduino Based Biometrics Headset

Soulskill posted about 10 months ago | from the video-games-are-serious-business dept.

Hardware Hacking 59

An anonymous reader writes "Gamer rage is a common phenomenon among people who play online, a product of the intense frustration created by stressful in-game situations and an inability to cope. It can have significant impact on the gamer's ability to play well, and to get along with others. To combat this rage and train gamers to deal with the stress, visual designer Samuel Matson of Seattle has created the Immersion project, integrating a pulse sensor tied to a Tiny Arduino with Bluetooth into a headset to monitor the gamer's heart rate. The heart rate data is sent in real time to the gaming PC, where it is displayed in the game. Matson even created a simple FPS using the Unity game engine that varies the AI and gaming difficulty based on the user's heart rate. Using this system, the gamer is able to train themselves to recognize the stress and learn to control it, in order to make them a much more agreeable and competitive player."

owned (-1)

u mad bro?

If you rely on devices to keep you from raging... (-1)

Lol, you are sooooo getting trolled.

Why you play? (5, Insightful)

If I lose this game what do I lose in life? Nothing. If I win this game what do I win in life? Nothing. Smile when you win, laugh when you lose. It's a game, for entertainment purposes only.

Re:Why you play? (5, Funny)

infolation (840436) | about 10 months ago | (#45999363)

Then how do you explain multiplayer tetris-rage?

That's not 'entertainment purposes only'. Those little blocks are life or death.

Re:Why you play? (0)

This sounds like it could make dwarf fortress even more fun.

Re:Why you play? (1)

JMJimmy (2036122) | about 10 months ago | (#45999425)

It has nothing to do with the game. Dealing with people is the stressful part, take them out of the equation and it's either a game I enjoy or a game I don't. I've never met an MP experience I liked except when it's couch coop.

Re:Why you play? (4, Insightful)

citizenr (871508) | about 10 months ago | (#45999561)

Try EVE Online, when you lose in game you lose months of grind or thousands of dollars. Every important battle induces physiological fight or flight reaction.

Re:Why you play? (0)

Why would anyone sane do that to themself? I've come to interpret usage of heroin, crack, MMORPG or TV as a warning sign of mental illness.

Re:Why you play? (0)

It is an amazing adrenaline rush.
The moment you engage in a fight ingame, when you go all in with no way to back out anymore, it can induce heart punding, shaking hands and all the signs you also experience when getting into a real fight (minus the physical pain that follows.. yay).

Not so much because of the often cited 'real damage' in that game though, at least not for me. I've gotten this experience mostly from fights in ships that were so cheap I could lose hundreds of without feeling any financial dent.
I'm assuming the same goes for most of the other players flying those cheap ships, but that does not stop them from raging upon losing a fight. Both effects must be somewhat disconnected from the rational damages (if you could call them that in a virtual world).

Re:Why you play? (0)

Why do people do anything that may create frustration? I've come to interpret usage of crude psychological analysis as a warning sing of mental illness (irony intended).

Re:Why you play? (1)

Impy the Impiuos Imp (442658) | about 10 months ago | (#46002459)

I ragequit Eve after losing two tier 3 battleships to being ganked. They cost about $15 each, roughly what a single Plex (1-month subscription) sold for on the auction house.

I'M FUCKING DONE, DONE DO YOU HEAR? FUKUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Where's that anti-rage headset? It should be named anti-gamer-and-posting-rage headset.

Re:Why you play? (1)

citizenr (871508) | about 10 months ago | (#46003815)

Thats like dropping out of elementary school because a big mean bully too your lunch money :)

Re:Why you play? (1)

Skateboarding used to be just for fun too. Then Tony Hawk showed up.

He's now worth $120 million, and represents just one of dozens of professional skateboarders who are millionaires.

A lot of things used to be done just for fun, until greed came along.

Re:Why you play? (0)

You're seriously telling us that just because the pros make money at a sport the rest of us can't play the same sport for fun?! Let me guess, you also threw away your bike because you didn't want to dope yourself like Lance Armstrong?

Whoever modded up the above comment is friggin retarded.

Re:Why you play? (2, Insightful)

Austerity Empowers (669817) | about 10 months ago | (#45999595)

I doubt you'd play at all with so little emotional investment.

Re:Why you play? (0)

I doubt you'd play at all with so little emotional investment.

the only winning move is not to play

Re:Why you play? (0)

You misunderstand. I get as emotional as the next guy playing games, but then I tell myself what I typed in the GP and get over it. The comment is meant to be a mini self-help booklet.

Re:Why you play? (1)

TapeCutter (624760) | about 10 months ago | (#46003925)

Exactly, at 50+ I still play FPS, I wouldn't do it if it didn't occasionally get my heart pumping. Most people who lose the plot are "kids" (people under 25).

Re:Why you play? (3, Interesting)

Lamps (2770487) | about 10 months ago | (#45999825)

A person's response to the gaming experience is not determined on a rational basis.

If a game is stimulating enough, a person will experience physiological responses that some describe as reactions to stressors - this includes a central and peripheral nervous response mediated by catecholamines (dopamine, adrenaline/norepinephrine, noradrenaline/norepinephrine) (sympathetic nervous system-adrenal-medullary arousal), and possibly pituitary-adrenal-cortical arousal, which results in a release of ACTH, and thus, cortisol. Such responses may be associated with a number of physiological effects, and influence the body's use of energy. Maladaptive psychological states, such as that of increased hostility, are sometimes associated with these changes. Here is an article [unl.edu] which offers a pretty good introduction on the topic.

If you're prone to maladaptive responses to stressful situations, to some extent, this can be mitigated by training (hence, the biofeedback article). However, I'd be willing to guess that a lot of hardcore gamers (not all) who suffer the most severe stress effects may notice some hitches with the idea of trying to manage their stress response while gaming. Some will not be able to mitigate their stress response to a meaningful extent. Some will be able to mitigate their stress response, but it will hit eventually as they keep gaming (possibly manifesting itself pretty quickly and powerfully). Some will find that mitigating their stress response compromises or interferes with their gaming experience or their level of play, and will drop the idea altogether. Still, it's a worthwhile effort, because it has the potential to help some people.

Re:Why you play? (1)

war4peace (1628283) | about 10 months ago | (#46000113)

If I lose this game what do I lose in life? Time.

FTFY.

Sometimes you also lose money.
Anyway, the issue at hand here is a wee bit more complex than just "it's a game". You get mad because your mouse is shit, or Windows updates decides to bug you about a restart when that boss you've been grinding on for half an hour is at 5% HP, or internet connection goes poof, or game crashes. In MMOs, you rage at horrible RNG or evidence of class imbalance, or in some cases it's simply lack of fairness from game mechanics.

It's not really about losing a game; it's about losing a game due to specific causes and/or for the umpteenth time. The frustration level builds up, and most times the root cause is the game itself: the way it's designed or coded.

Re:Why you play? (0)

If I lose this game what do I lose in life? Time.

FTFY.

Oh really? And if you win you gain time?! What bullshit. You spend time getting entertained, win or lose.

Re:Why you play? (1)

war4peace (1628283) | about 10 months ago | (#46002205)

Some people are more retarded than others. would you please be their leader?

If you work on a novel which fails, you wasted time. If it's successful, you gain money and fame.
The loss currency must be the same as win currency in your tiny head alone.

Re:Why you play? (0)

That's easy to say but actually difficult to do. I'm not usually an emotional person, but when I lose in multiplayer games, I get intensely angry. It doesn't make me very fun to play with, and it makes it hard for me to improve, but I never figured out how to control it. I wish I could, but keeping my cool in that kind of situation is a skill I haven't figured out how to master. It's a part of my personality I'm not proud of.

These days, I pretty much just avoid games that will frustrate me.

Generally speaking (0)

For safety sake, usually the last thing you want to tell an angry anyone (Not just a gamer) is that they have rage issues..

Re:Generally speaking (1)

PPH (736903) | about 10 months ago | (#46000473)

But if they must be told, better that the message come from a cheap single board computer than another person.

How it works (0)

A small syringe injects a benzodiazepine into your temple.

Gamer rage? (2)

Jmc23 (2353706) | about 10 months ago | (#45999367)

Rage is side-effect of having no control of your emotions. Perhaps this would be more useful outside of gaming? I'm not to afraid of some 97 pound weakling stuck in their parent's basement thousands of miles away who can barely lift their controller. Little more concerned about the 300lb redneck stuck in traffic with his truck pushing my bumper.

Re:Gamer rage? (0)

You do know that games moved past tetris and mario right? That redneck is probably just blowing off steam from their latest CoD session.

Re:Gamer rage? (1)

pooh666 (624584) | about 10 months ago | (#46000103)

These were my exact thoughts also. I love games, but it scares the hell out of me that people seem to be loosing more and more of a connection with real life... And to make something like this a prioraty? How about just banning the fuckers for good and moving on to something that is big and metal(at least some these days) and can kill people for real.

Re:Gamer rage? (0)

prioraty?
I'm was about to start raging right there.

Re:Gamer rage? (1)

hercludes (2935741) | about 10 months ago | (#46004519)

I'm was about to start raging right there.

That's good to know that you am was about to.

Gamer Rage? GET A F'n LIFE you loser! (-1)

Gamer Rage? GET A F'n LIFE you loser!

maybe they should visit the real world (1)

lophophore (4087) | about 10 months ago | (#45999463)

Maybe these poor souls should step away from the game for a while and enjoy interacting with living people.

Re:maybe they should visit the real world (3, Insightful)

Ardyvee (2447206) | about 10 months ago | (#45999633)

You'd be surprised how many have "gamer rage" in sports. It isn't just for video games. It is simply them not managing their emotions (or deciding to let them run free).

Re:maybe they should visit the real world (1)

reikae (80981) | about 10 months ago | (#45999905)

Exactly, why rage in a game when you could instead go out to a bar and start an actual fight, with real damage to living people.

Re:maybe they should visit the real world (0)

The system could be helpful for those feeling intense frustration created by stressful in-life situations and an inability to cope. Using this system, the persons of interest should be able to train themselves to recognize the stress and learn to control it, in order to make them a much more agreeable and competitive person.

Many people would need that too.

Now let other players see it (2)

bbartlog (1853116) | about 10 months ago | (#45999547)

That would really add to the game! Especially for griefers ... 'whoah did you see that, his pulse hit 140 just before he ragequit! Psych! Now let's find someone else to spawn camp...' In all seriousness I think you could have an elevated pulse, blood pressure or whatever and still be enjoying the game. Trying to maintain perfect calm sort of defeats the purpose.

Re:Now let other players see it (0)

I just spawn tube them on call of duty, that usually gets people pissed off.

stay away from /. (0)

Fight gamer rage, stay the fuck off /..

InTEL to Axe 10.000 in 2014 (0)

First DeLL and now InTEL. What is the PC biz coming to? Going to?

Except that getting pumped up makes you better (0)

And winning by a close margin, elevating your heart-rate and giving you nice, cold adrenalin-hands is awesome.

Just what those in gamer rage need... (2)

Nova Express (100383) | about 10 months ago | (#45999773)

...another small electronic device to hurl across the room and smash into little bits!

Re:Just what those in gamer rage need... (0)

I can just imagine little kids beating up their controllers before throwing them out the window.

Is this the sort of society we want to encourage? maybe these people are good candidates for anger management.

how about for road rage (0)

if convicted with road rage causing damage/injury, the individual wears this monitor and when heart rate or blood pressure increases beyond a reasonable limit and sustained, then the car's RPMs are limited to force short shifts to prevent aggressive acceleration and discourage aggressive driving

Re:how about for road rage (1)

mhajicek (1582795) | about 10 months ago | (#46000099)

Making a stressful merge even more difficult and dangerous.

Two words... (0)

Shock collar!

Control it by stop playing (1)

wonkey_monkey (2592601) | about 10 months ago | (#46000357)

If it gets to the point where you need to build a device to tell you when you're getting gamerage - and if the primary reason for wanting to control your gamerage is because you want to stop it making you suck at the game - you should probably try just gaming less.

I used to get gamerage from Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force, the only FPS I ever really got into. If it started angrying me up, I just turned it off for the day.

Re:Control it by stop playing (1)

Renozuken (3499899) | about 10 months ago | (#46001531)

Yeah but they're also learning to control their anger, which is the more important part here.

Re:Control it by stop playing (0)

Frustrated by the game of life? Stop playing.

Yes, it's not quite appropriate to compare a game with actual life, but there are parallels. The medical sciences do their research, try to help people cope with various conflicts and don't just tell them to stop doing what's making them unhappy. It could be their job, it could be their family and anything else more or less important.

As professional gaming is gaining popularity as a sport and is becoming a part of life for this and later generations, these kind of innovations might be the right way to go instead of just telling them to 'quit', or run away from a basic problem that can affect any parts of their live that are competitive in some way.

Deal with stress? (1)

PPH (736903) | about 10 months ago | (#46000527)

Go outside. Get some exercise.

Re:Deal with stress? (0)

Go outside. Get some exercise.

That, and, by thinking stress=heart rate, they've inadvertantly made it so you couldn't possibly get any exercise from gaming, even if only mental exercise. Worse, with his automating the AI to be easier any time the heartrate goes up, he's basically vegetating them into a docile lump of uselessness that doesn't even think hard.

captcha: affluent

Nice Try... (0)

The problem is that such a heart-rate monitor can't tell the difference between rage and excitement. If it affects the game, then it has to be able to tell if I'm angry or excited, or it won't work properly.

Re:Nice Try... (1)

lxs (131946) | about 10 months ago | (#46004523)

There is no real difference except for a difference of interpretation. Rage is excitement.

Raging is mostly in multiplayer (1)

Spy Handler (822350) | about 10 months ago | (#46000925)

I've never raged playing a single player game. On the other hand raging in multiplayer FPS is very common.

My worst raging experience was in a multiplayer air combat game called Air Warrior. My joystick was mounted on the desk with screws initially, but I I ripped it out in a fit of rage when I kept getting shot down by laggy headon noobs. Next I epoxied the joystick onto the desk, but that too got ripped out while raging.

Finally I drilled holes in the desk and mounted the joystick using steel wire threaded through the holes and looped around the base of the joystick. This turned out to be the most rage-resistant setup, since ripping out the joystick didn't break any hard parts.

Rage != Fast heart rate (0)

A heart rate sensor won't tell you if someone is raging.

Fast heart rate could just as easily be indicative of excitement, and other positive emotions.

GRRRR! (1)

KingTank (631646) | about 10 months ago | (#46001229)

GRRRR! It's not caused by my inability to cope! It's caused by my laggy connection, n00b! GRRR!

Lag makes me ragequit (1)

Snotnose (212196) | about 10 months ago | (#46001629)

MW3 is a joke on a PS3, I'm typically 150-250ms behind the action. Oddly enough, I just put the disc in today for the first time in months. 3 games. 3 different cheaters with a mod that makes them invisible. Methinks it will be several more months before I try the game, IW doesn't seem to care.

Losers can't win. Ever. (1)

JockTroll (996521) | about 10 months ago | (#46004291)

Oh, poor loserboys. Can't handle the stress in a GAME? See how I care! Fuck you. Nobody forces you to play. Can't take the heat? Though shit! Your fucking problem. Quit and be done with it. A pity you can't do that with life, however, which is way more stressful. Oh yes, there's a way to quit that too. Take that option, fucking loserboy. Once a loser, always a loser.

Re:Losers can't win. Ever. (0)

Or do the vogue thing now an take a gun to school and shoot the JockTroll. FUCKING WIN! Rage is vented, antagonist is removed, on to the next douche bag that assumes it's their job to piss someone off. Have a nice day!